Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Organ meat? I'm thinking blood from animals must be salty. How do you get in salt once Amazon stops delivering ?

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Organ meat? I'm thinking blood from animals must be salty. How do you get in salt once Amazon stops delivering ?
Well, there's salt present in some plants in small amounts but mostly primitive man would move around to get it, or trade for it.

If we fall back to an entirely primitive way of life, stationary settlements and homesteads will probably not work out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
In a survival post shtf type thinking, remember most all large herbivores need salts and minerals. In many places, including Kentucky and surrounding states, there are natural deposits of these that can be found by following these herbivores to their 'salt licks'.

Deer is the main one I'm talking about based on the fact it is easy to identify their mineral licks because they will dig huge holes in order to recover the minerals from soil.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
That's one reason salt was once used as currency....and the fact that refridgeration has lessened folks realization of just how important salt is in daily life.....especially if things go backwards for some reason....
Salt: preservative, salt was once used as a sterilizer...it can be used medicinally( the salt was mixed with say cornmeal and put on as a poultice to "draw out" the "poison")....it can be used as a bait for game..has been...(but I believe it's illegal nowadays)
If you plan to eat meat year round with out refridgeration., and plan to butcher larger critters..you need salt, or a lot a canning jars..or you'll just have to dry it and smoke it....it'd be smart to learn to pickle in brine, cure with salt and smoke, and just dry and preserve in salt...salt pork,salt beef, fatback ect...

I go as far as to say, if you believe in a total failure, worldwide ect.....and are laying by supplies....better add a few hundred lbs. of different coarseness of salt to your supplies....kept dry and secure, it'll last along time

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
the word salary came from the word salt...way back you worked for a ration of salt.it was item more needed for life than anything else like gold and silver.

some of the very oldest towns are settled at salt deposits.

PP you can get all the salt you want from the ocean...heres a simple how to video.

go ahead and get several bags of salt while its cheap and accessible easy.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8tOvmo6vME[/ame]

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I asked the same thing a while back. Basically I found that our closest salt mine is 400 or 500 miles away in Kansas. Apparently they shot part of Men in Black in the mines. We would have to go there or trade for it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thinking on the same thing but on a much smaller scale. Bought 4 of Morton's 4 lb. canning/pickling salts today. Plan to buy 4 everytime I shop. I cannot manage big huge 20-40 lb bags of dog food much less salt. Not expensive at all. Easier to store.

Yes thinking along those lines too.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
This goes beyond a prepping issue into a sustainability issue.

If we assume minimum salt intake just to maintain life, you need about 6 grams per person, per day, or approximately 1 pound per person per year.

So it's not very difficult to stockpile enough for the rest of your natural life. But then, let's assume civilization doesn't restart ... what then? What about your children? Or your children's children for those of us who think in those terms?

You will HAVE to have a source of salt, be it travelling traders or a naturally occurring source. Those of you who live near an ocean are in great shape, but the rest of us will have to find a source.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
If Mortons is not "real salt" then what the heck is it?

You need to remember that, if the world ends, you will be eating only locally produced food. Some areas of the country had an epidemic of goiters back in the day. This is caused by a deficiency of iodine in the diet. Those areas have a lack of iodine in the ground so the plants grown there don't have enough and there isn't enough in the resident's diet. The easy solution was to add iodine to table salt so everyone gets enough. Please check if you live in a deficient area and stock up on iodized salt if you do.

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
salt,spices and essential oils and various items like this were the first trade goods that traveled by camel.

our modern way of life is only approx 100 years now...for 1,000 of years before humans made it...we can do it again...the learning curve will be steep.but theres all kinds of people in this world living and doing and making it right now.

learn skills and stockpile information..old maps,etc etc.

check it out..

http://www.fotothing.com/Znuber/photo/5c9a108f47225dfa77bb893577c89a95/

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]A major occupation in Kuntu is gathering salt. Sea water is pumped into ponds, evaporated and the salt harvested. The collected salt is sold in markets throughout Ghana. Fishing and farming are other major occupations in Kuntu.

http://www.ghanavillage.org/about_kuntu1.htm
[/FONT]

·
Have a Great Day!
5,197 Posts
I dumped a left over partial bag of rock salt, out on the treeline this past Spring. I was back there last week, and the deer had about dug up the tree that I dumped it under.They must have been angry when it had all washed out, and started scratchin' the tree's all up and down*

1 - 20 of 84 Posts