Salt lick for dairy cow?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Rockfish, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Rockfish

Rockfish Well-Known Member

A man I know who has kept Jerseys on and off for years says a cow in milk shouldn't have a salt lick. However, one book I read and some other stuff on the internet says she should have one.

Advice is appreciated... Note: my Jersey had been dried off but is now bagging up and due to calf sometime (previous owner was unsure when).

Thanks.

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

IMO all cattle should have minerals and salt available in loose form , not blocks, year round.

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

I top dress my small herds feed twice a day, plus trace mineral blocks....I positive my cattle are happy and healthy. Their morning smiles tell me so...Seems like the fellow giving you advice, needs to do some explaining. Give your animals free choice or top dressed minerals and they will do their best to return the favor....Topside

4. Oakshire_Farm

Oakshire_Farm Well-Known Member

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, CANADA
    My jerseys have free choice of salt blocks silinium and trace mineral. I also give them dairy mineral mix 2x/day with their grain. They are all fat and happy!!!

5. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Retired farmer-rancher

6. SpaceCadet12364

SpaceCadet12364 Well-Known Member

south central KY 75 miles SSE of Louisville
    This may sound silly, but why the preference for loose salt/mineral over block form?? We use either the blocks or those big black tubs for our Highlands.

7. ksfarmer

ksfarmer Retired farmer-rancher

Block or loose salt never seemed to make any difference to my cattle. However, they always tended to prefer loose minerals over the blocks. Not sure why, but they would consume more loose mineral, maybe different formulations.

8. G. Seddon

G. Seddon Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Some dairy heifers (not mine) that are kept in our corrals and that aren't getting their minerals like they should are eating our old wood barn up like horses would without adequate mineral supplementation. So yes, cattle should have minerals available 24/7/365 no matter what stage they are at, growth or otherwise.