Salt Lake City, Utah?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TedH71, May 25, 2006.

1. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

I decided against Seattle due to extreme high price of living so am doing research into SLC since I have a friend living there. She raves about the area and says the economy is really good so it's easy to get jobs and plenty of outdoor activities. Any truth to this? Thanks for any experiences, etc that you can give.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Ted I used to work in S L C and its A expensive place to be. There are jobs and the area does have Mass transit. But its also A very COLD area in the winter. And Lots of ice.You can see snow in the summer there to on the mountains. I would Not want to live there Myself.But thats just me..

3. smumitson

smumitson Well-Known Member

If you like the PNW you could move a little farther up north to Skagit county. The prices are far better than Seattle and the way of life much slower. Much more recreation than SLC too. I can't think of much you can't do here and it's 40 minutes to bay, right on the river, and an hour (or less) up the mountains to the snow in the winter or hiking in the summer. Lakes everywhere too.

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

The only thing I ever liked about SLC (Lived there 3 years) was that I was only minutes from the mountains.

5. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would never be able to stand the "gray days" in the winter in SLC. Other than that, geographically it is beautiful. If you are LDS you will love it. If not, maybe, maybe not. I lived up in the mountains you can see from SLC and thought SLC was toasty warm banana belt. In reality, it DOES get very cold and snowy.

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Do a little research on Vernal . I have considered moving there more than once . Elevation about 5200 , hot in july but the temps drop off to the 50's at night and humidity is very low . Lots of sunny days and they do get a fair amount of snow but it melts fairly quickly . The oil business has a very strong presence there and it is logically very good now given the price of oil and gas . Vernal is a small town and was founded by NON mormons as you will discover if you are interested . I went thru there on two different occasions(sp) on my way to Jellystone . Just alittle north of Vernal is the most remote mountain range in the whole state . Then there is the Flaming Gorge national recreation area which has some of the best fishing in the state . The lake is hugh and fairly remote as it is situated in the high desert and really not well known like lake powell or Hoover damn , etc . If you like hunting ElK , Moose , Deer , you'd love living in Vernal . Gotta watch out for the Mormon girls cause they seem like to form small groups like 3 or 4 and then find a boyfriend that they can all share :eek: :clap: . You'll have a different 'flavor' every night so you'll go to work with a smile on Yo' face each day . fordy... :)

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Born in SLC, lived there much of the time growing up. Now live just north of Seattle. SLC is hot and dry in the summer, cold and snowy in the winter. Being LDS and a male really helps to get a good job. Don't count on your wife or SO being able to make a living wage. She's supposed to be making babies and a home, after all, not money. That's why my mother pulled up roots after her divorce. Overall, SLC is a nice place to visit, but . . . if you want to grow things, including pasture to sustain your livestock, you're way better off in the PNW. And remember that, generally, prices and wages go hand in hand, wherever you are.

8. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

One other downside to Salt Lake City, smog. If anyone in the family has asthma, they may find it difficult to breath well there.

9. mmbawden

mmbawden Member

We live in Utah. Love it. We are about 21/2 hours south of SLC. Our little place is really nice. Not alot of people where we live but getting bigger as people find out about us. Yes most people are LDS here but not all. Income is very little but if you work at it, you cant find a better place in our opinion. I lived in California, and Overseas. We came back because of the Mountains and the weather. 4 Seasons. There are alot more places than just SLC in this great state of UT. Central Utah is pretty and clean. Plus housing prices are not too bad. We got 6.5 acres and house (5 bed and 2 bath) and barns for a cool 80 thousand, it appraised for about 145. We had to do a little work to get it up to that since it hadnt been lived in for a few years. Not the norm but if you check around you can find them. Good luck and we would love to have you come to our great state.

10. Salmonberry

Salmonberry Registered Nut

The culture and primary religion can be a mite suffocating. It seems to permeate everything. If you are non-LDS, you definitely feel like a minority. I lived in the area for two years and when I left, I felt like I was escaping. I still miss the scenery, but I wouldn't move back for nothin'.

Salmonberry

11. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think I could live there because of the odor of the lake in the summer time. I use to drive through there delivering campers and couldn't hardly breath because of the smell. It is a beautiful state though.

12. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

I read an awesome blog called Dooce, and she (& her family) lives there. www.dooce.com

I've emailed back and forth with her a couple times. She's a very friendly person, who'd probably be tickled to chalk up the goods and bads of her hometown.