Salt in Kerosene?

Discussion in 'Survival & Emergency Preparedness' started by Sunbee, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Sunbee

Sunbee Well-Known Member

So I'm reading Little House in the Big Woods out loud to my guys, and in chapter two Laura writes about putting salt in the kerosene lamp to keep the kerosene from exploding. Is this still necessary and how does it work? Is it just a few grains or is it the entire bowl of the lamp full with kerosene in the spaces between the salt?

Does anyone else read the Little House books as a how-to manual?

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Kerosene will support bacterial growth, maybe thats why they used salt? Hot kero vapour will explode the liquid won't. Since salt wouldn't be vapourized with the kerosene I don't see how its going to help. Hmm interesting.

3. DavisHillFarm

DavisHillFarm Well-Known Member

Never heard of doing this. My grandfather used kerosene for heating (and lighting before electricity) most of his life, and I don't recall him using salt. Wish he was still around to ask him about this....and many more questions I have!!

4. Sunbee

Sunbee Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe something to do with water in the kerosene? (Can you tell who's been deep fat frying lately?) But I really don't know much of anything about kerosene.
    Here's the quote, it's page 38 in my copy:
    "Ma sat in her rocking chair, sewing by the light of the lamp on the table. The lamp was bright and shiny. There was salt in the bottom of its glass bowl with the kerosene, to keep the kerosene from exploding, and there were bits of red flannel among the salt to make it pretty. It was pretty."

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

The fact that people do things for specified reasons doesn't always mean the reasons are correct.

They simply do it because they THINK it works

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011