Votes: 4 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our last fishing trip of 2018 in September on the Mighty Miramichi River of NewBrunswick.
We caught a few nice salmon but the water was low and warm so fishing was not great. Salmon population is on the decline so I fear the species is in trouble.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Fished the Manistte river here in Michigan for Coho on there fall spawning runs before.
A nice stretch of public land below the tippy dam.

:D Al

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fished the Manistte river here in Michigan for Coho on there fall spawning runs before.
A nice stretch of public land below the tippy dam.

:D Al
Awesome. I spend 1.5 years on the west cost and we caught some coho. They are a nice fish. Here on the east coast we catch Atlantic Salmon using a fly rod. Lots of fun and when we were allowed to keep them they were awesome to eat.

·
hillbilly farmgirl
2,398 Posts
I lived near Vancouver for 1.5 years and we successfully trolled for chinook and coho. Awesome
It's certainly fun. I must say, though... I have never once in my life heard of fly fishing for salmon. That's a first. From my understanding, the salmon return to the rivers and streams only to spawn, unless they are landlocked. During spawning time they have very little appetite, and generally only strike your bait when they are irritated by it. Hence trolling with sardine wrapped flatfish, or bouncing roe off the river bottom. The point is to get the fish mad. Do other species act differently? I have only salmon fished on the west coast, California and Oregon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts