Salem, MO area... anyone from there?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Sep 5, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I have some relatives that live in Salem. Anyone here tell me about the area, jobs, land prices, climate?

2. Arkie1

Arkie1 Well-Known Member

I know of a Salem,AR which is a really nice rural area but I've never heard of Salem,MO. :shrug:

3. ClubMike

ClubMike Well-Known Member

I have been through the area, it has a great trout river, the current river and a stocking program at the state park there. I am not sure about jobs but its kinda close to the I 44 corridor so jobs are around. Most likely not good ones but jobs all the same.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

What I've seen of it mostly Tourist Trade.Logging,Charcoal,and other Wood products.Some Cattle,Goats,and Sheep Farming.

Been mostly mild Winters last few years.

big rockpile

5. tuvold

tuvold Well-Known Member

Hey,

Just based on the price of land in the area, I would say that the job market is poor. Been checking out some properties online around that area. Nice prices. Can't find out much about employment, though.

MO State

My 2 coppers,

tuvold

6. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

http://www.salem-mo-real-estate.com/economy.htm
    Local Economy
    A great deal of time and energy is devoted to developing "new and
    improved" products, more efficient systems, better ways of living. A case
    in point is the modern country lifestyle exemplified by Salem, Missouri.

Described in Vogue magazine as "one of the timeless towns in the Ozarks," Salem has become a modern community of industry, fine stores, services and shopping centers that serve a rich farming area.

Livestock is the mainstay of farming in Dent County, with most fields
    deep in the lush grasses of improved permanent pasture. Only in the rich bottomlands do our farmers plant their grain crops. On the softly rolling
    hills are herds of choice registered cattle.

Salem is a progressive, business-minded county seat. Industry in Salem brings in an annual $100 million payroll. Salem is home to Royal Oak Charcoal and nationally known as one of the nations largest charcoal producers of charcoal briquettes. Located within a few miles of town, and one of the world's richest veins of lead is being mined in the immediate area.
    Alliant Foods Distributing Company provides employment for 550 people, and Hagale Industries has 365 employees. Other industries include several firms quarrying building stone, mills turning out oak industrial pallets, stave mills, lumber mills and a modern hatchery.

Masters Industrial Park in east Salem has prime, full utility connected 5-acre lots available which require no exchange of money for qualifying industry and business. The industrial park is located in an enterprise zone that provides qualifying new industry and business with a lucrative tax incentive program administered by the Missouri Department of Economic Development.

For more information, contact the Economic Development office at (573) 729-2428 or you can e-mail them at ecdev@fidnet.com.

Here is a link for the Chamber of Commerce for Salem
    http://www.salemmo.com/chamber/resources.htm

The area is pretty rural. Lots of farms. The nearest large town/city would be Rolla Missouri. Rolla is a college town and is pretty large. My guess is that most people living in or near Salem have to commute for work.

Hope this helps some.

7. big rockpile

Rolla looks like the only place to find any work other than Self Employed.

big rockpile

8. seedspreader

Thanks so far, love to hear more. Anyone actually from that area would be a plus... I would like to know if they have maples down there so I could make syrup... LOL.

9. big rockpile

There is mostly Oak,Hickoy,and Pine.I'm sure there is some Maple but not enough to fool with.

I know of the area by staying with a family while looking for a Log Truck.

big rockpile

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL Zealyouthguy is thinking about getting out of Ohio,
    I have some longtime friends from fairborn OH that my mother went to college with, they moved to Branson last year after they retired.

11. seedspreader

I like to occasionally research new places. Salem has caught my fancy. It would be a pretty big jump to see me moving, but anything is possible.

12. seedspreader

Ok, here is a question, how are wells in MO?

Sweet water? (not hard and filled with sulfur)

Easy to find wells?

I mean in Ohio, you just drill the well whereever you want and there is water there.

13. Theresa Lipe

Theresa Lipe Well-Known Member

I live about 50 miles from Salem.There is a farm near us that makes maple syrup just for the family. Maples are plentiful here.Salem is a growing community ,lot of construction.

14. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

Our water is a bit hard...but not a trace of sulfur....not sure about how easy it is to find a place to put one..guess that all depends on the area, there are lots of wells around me as there is no "city water" here. Not exactly sure where Salem is...following what Rockpile says I'd imagine it's north of here :)

15. big rockpile

I've seen Wells all the way from 75'-500'.most of the Wells I've seen have Lime in them.One Well at the Lake I can get water at has alot of Iron and smells of Sulphur,the other Well is ok.

Southern Missouri doesn't seem to have problems finding water.

big rockpile