Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Last week there was a thread on pricing. It made me nervous..lol..as I was taking four bucks..four months old . . to the sale barn..and had NO idea what to expect.

The following is what I got through the mail..from the Kalona Sale Barn..Kalona, Iowa.

4 head 270 total weight 68 ave weight 109.63cwt

74.00 avg/head 296.00 total

commission 8.88

yardage 2.00

vet inspection .80

insurance .30

my check was for 283.99 ave per buck 70.99

I was most surprised.

Just posting this as last Wed. prices. These guys were 50/50 boer/saanen, 50/50 boer/nubie, and 3/4 boer/nubie.

I kinda got a chuckle..the 3/4 was a month older..and he didn't outweigh the other boys by much.

Sherry

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. Yeah, the prices seem to be holding here in the poorer sales months. I guess demand is still there.

I have does to sell..same age. Am trying to decide whether to keep them til Sept. 15th..or sell them next week. The 15th is specifically for does and bred does. Since mine are crosses and not registered..don't know how they would do. But then again...maybe the registered stock would bring up the prices for them all.

The plus side to NOT waiting is..everyone else IS waiting..think that may be why we were blessed with the decent buck prices. Plus..I like my kids going through in a not so crowded enviroment.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I hope I do as well. I have 3 I have to get out of my way.Mine are 4 mos boer/kiko 75/25.My 50/50 crosses weigh the same at 3mos as these boys do now.Their moms have more milk than the boer moms.After weaning they even out.These three were all out of trips and still are big ole boys.I may wait a month if I can .We are having a huge problem with worms in our area ,and I know of 2 growers in the area that are dumping their goats both wanted me to buy them. So there will be a bunch of wormy goats going through the sale in the next month or so.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope you have good luck on them too Chris. I was very nervous..and surprised. Yes..I think at 6 mo. or so they do tend to even out..I just never usually get the chance to see it.

Its funny. Last year...I missed the huge goat sale for Easter. They held it two weeks before Easter. So..when I went the following week (always a day late and dollar short here..lol) I was prepared to cry in my coffee. BUT..they brought great prices..

It was kinda that way last Wed. I know July and August are supposed to be low prices for the goats..but I'm not kicking clearing 1.04 a lb. So I think I will probably sell the does next week. I like it that there aren't a bunch of goats in there. Mine will have to stand on their merits and not get lost in the crowd. LOL that can be good and that can be bad.

Best of luck Chris.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts