Homesteading Forum banner
101 - 120 of 209 Posts
I just bought a healthy looking holestin bull calf at the auction last Thursday.
He weighed 74 pounds, and, his embilical cord was all dried up. Well, for the first 3 days his poop was fine, but, now it is runny as water.

My hubs said to cut back on the MR, and, I did, but, I noticed today that he still has runny poop.

He is still very active, and, alert...up, and, at the gate waiting for me when I go to the barn.

What should I do to get him over this runny poop thing?

I have heard good things about save a calf too. It is never in stock when Ineed it. I suggest you keep some of that on hand.

Good Thread Topside!

I'd like to jump in here as well. Although I don't raise the huge numbers you and Myersfarm produce, I usually raise twenty or so per year and have had pretty good success.

I can't reiterate enough your thoughts on calf selection and the things you mentioned to look for.
Here's my methods:
-pick out the calf(s) that I'm interested in prior to the sale. (if I don't get there in time to preview the calves, I don't buy calves PERIOD!)
-win the bid, load the calves, and head toward the homestead ASAP.
(one note: As I'm loading the calves, I give them all a 3cc shot of Baytril.)

Now, I'd like to add my preventative measures for once the calf is at home and in the pen.

-I don't immediately stick a bottle in their mouth.(as is usually the first thing a new calf buyer does out of sympothy for the begging, crying calf.)
It's important for first time bottle calf raisers to realize the feeding instructions on the MR bag are the volume feeding rate for a healthy, normal sized calf with their feet on the ground good and a clean bill of health. A calf will keep on sucking the bottle until they are completely and totally filled to the brim which most always ends in the scours.
-The first feeding they get is a 1qt bottle of water and electrolytes.
-8 hours later, they get 1-1/2 qts of MR and electrolytes mixed 50/50.
-12 hours later, 1-1/2 qts of MR 75% and electrolytes 25%.
-12 hours later, 1-1/2 qts of MR
(this gradual introduction to MR or fresh cow's milk is only if there is no apparent signs of scours.)
-If I do see signs of scours, I treat it with electrolytes solely. (remember, yesterday the calf got a shot of baytril as a preventative measure against pnuemonia, shipping fever, and scours.)
-Too often, a first time calf raiser goes to the local feedstore only to have someone sell them a bottle of scour boluses (which do have their place) and starts shoving them down the animal's throat.
-Most of the time, what we call scours isn't actually scours. It's just loose bowels and should be treated with liquid replacement.
-The boluses usually contain oxytetracyclene which is a broad spectrum antibiotic and the natural bacteria in the animal's digestive sytem is compromised. (after all, when our children come home from school with diarea or upset stomach we don't start giving them antibiotics until the symtoms persist or we see the need for medical treatment as prescribed from a doctor. We treat them to 7-up or gatorade to keep them from getting dehydrated.)
Remember, if you see liquid out, you need liquid going back in.
-If you even think that the calf's bowels are getting too loose, start feeding them 4 small feedings instead of 2 larger ones. I realize this might be impossible for someone who works a day job but do the best you can to keep the animal hydrated 24/7 without over or under feeding.
-I always keep feed, (sweet grain consisting of oats and corn is my personal choice) water, and hay out to the calf at all times.
-The calf is getting all the fat and protein they need from the MR or fresh milk so I see no need of buying an expensive calf starter right at the start.
-I always separate the water and feed buckets far enough apart that the calf isn't able to dribble feed into their water bucket when switching from one bucket to another.
-I always thoroughly clean the water and feed buckets daily. (all the left over feed, (and there will be a lot of it for the first week or so) gets fed to the chickens.) Wet, nasty feed will sour in the bucket and could help the critter to get sick.
-I do the same with the hay. What doesn't get consumed gets discarded.
-AWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS look for signs of dehydration. ( I like to see the calf with a moist nose and very alert eyes and perky ears)
-a kind of sick, lethergic calf before you leave for work can be a near death unreversible calf when you get home!
-Most generally, after about one to two weeks, a calf that is eating and drinking well becomes another one of the chores and requires very little more than dropping a bottle in it's hanger and coming back to pick it up once it's finished. The first few days are the most critical. Just keep a good eye on them.
-Once a calf is totally cleaning up the amount of feed that would equal 3-4% of their body weight daily and eating hay and drinking water I wein them. This consist of one week of 1/2 the volume of MR and then I go to one week of once a day bottle at 1/2 volume. After this, I quit them cold turkey and turn them into larger pens with like sized calves that have access to water, hay, and minerals free choice.
-I hope this helps and I'm quite certain there are other ways to get the job done. It's just what works for me.
Feeding MR and electrolyte at the same time is a no-no per my vet. It causes the milk to curdle wrong in the calves stomach and continue scours. If calf scours, feed nothing but electrolytes for 24 hours, then return to MR. Don't feed MR within one hour before or one hour after feeding electrolyte. I found that a scouring calf does better with a probiotic for three days as well as a 3cc shot IM of LA-200 under the skin of the neck for three days. Remember, no more than 10cc in any one spot. If the calf is for meat, the LA-200 will discolor the meat at the injection point. Its a good idea to inject them in a spot where discoloration trimming won't cost you prime cuts.

Has anyone noticed that "bull" calves in the same pen will nurse "?" on each other right after coming off of the bottle? Is this harmful? If it is, how do you stop it?

Discussion starter · #105 ·
Feed them separatly and then re-unite after they calm back down...You will get more answers if you start a new thread in the main body of the cattle forum. Start a new thread. Several other way to stop the sucking, but start a new thread and I'd be glad to help, as will others...Topside

francismilker were is that like button.....i mix eletrolites and milk together also....not sure but we do lots of stuff the same way....you have been reading my post or i have been reading yours.......but the biddest thing I see about us we both say

WHAT WORKS FOR ME

I buy from different sale barns so what works fora calf from one sale barn calf may not work from a calf from a different sale barn....

I tried dairy bull calves two years ago. Raised them on MR and sweet feed, hay, and grass. They got sick and coughed and had snotty noses, and we got meds from the vet and gave them shots. They all got better, and we raised them and butchered them. They were holsteins.
I'm wanting to do this again, and I can't remember how long we had them on milk replacer. Can you all please tell me how long to have them on the MR, and when to introduce them to a bucket, and when to add the grain? Thanks in advance.

Our last batch we brought to the farm on October 18. Just like myersfarm they were given feed the first day by hand as well as free-choice fresh water. After a few days they would willing nibble on their feed and mess with the water in the hanging bucket. After a week they were transitioned to the bucket for thier MR as well. They now are eating 3/4 lb. of calf starter in the morning and another 3/4 lb. in the evening. About 2 weeks ago, I stopped giving them MR in the morning and tonight will be their last feeding of MR (bag will be empty).

Myers,
Did I read correctly? Are you going to quit the dairy heifer gig? Has the bottom fallen out of raising replacement heifers since sexed semen come along? Is it going to beef calves next year?

Spet 24th i bought 5 jersey bull calves at the auction house. Got them for $3 each. Everything went well and all 5 have now been weaned and are now almost 10 weeks old. i weaned at 8 weeks, fed 2 days of powdered colostrum when first brought them home as most had been born that day. They are now on range cubes, sweet feed and hay.
A lot of range cubes have urea as a protein source which small calves don't utlize well.

Francis Yes I am switching to the dairy /beef cross...or a pen or two of just straight BEEEF if I can find them..sex semen had nothing to do with it ...dairy farm input cost are making dairy unprofitable......sold 39 of my best heifers BRED AND REALLY GOT NO MORE THEN BEEF PRICE......why I am changing

Ok this is a 'calf ready' post right? Well we don't buy from the sale barn. We veal a couple of dairy calves every year and these are from local dairy barns. This way we have the ability to talk to the producer and make sure that the calf has sufficient colostrum etc. But sale barn or local barn, the problems could be the same. Before you buy a calf you need a few things in your medicine chest: a rectal thermometer, $12 - $14 bucks at your local drug store, a calf tubing rig, electrolytes, calf bottles, injectable vitamins (like e-sel in my area), banamine or another anti-inflamitory, I keep cow aspirine on hand and also a broad specetrum antibiotic like Excenel. Problem though with an antibiotic is that they are really all geared to different infections and most dairy barns have resistance built up in their herd to one or another. Excenel and another, Nuflor will do respiratory but you should speak to your vet because she/he will know what resistance there is in the dairy barns of the area. We also know that we have coccisidiosis on the farm and so I keep cocci-boluses and also Amprol at hand. Oh and most important, a probiotic if you do have to use an antibiotic; yogort works and 'Fast track' we have found better. Ok what am I missing guys, jump in. Liz
I see you do veal could you give me some info on who to sell to. I new here an loving it, make me feel like I back in the hill of KY, I live in Lawrenceburg tn now on 27.24 A, I was rasied on a dairy farm, and i do not think I will have a lot of trouble rasing them, been reading about a new way of rasing them, and I like that a lot better,
Robert
Green Acres

radavis wrote ....been reading about a new way of rasing them, and I like that a lot better,
...do you want to share or a link
here is two of the palce I've see doing the new way and it may not be new but it new to me. these are the best two I found, there more but there on my other computer and I have not got it up and running yet, we just moved in up here and I'm starting to get the barn ready for the frist ones. going to try maybe 5 at the most right now.

http://www.provitellofarms.com/

http://www.vealfarm.com/housing.aspx

Robert
Green Acres

I have read those before I raise in pens of 5 . milkbars have 5 to 6 nipples....yes I know they have 12 nipple milk bars but that would mean you have to get into pen and move calfs over..can not figure a easy way to feed in pens of 20 or 30 making sure each calf gets its share

I have read those before I raise in pens of 5 . milkbars have 5 to 6 nipples....yes I know they have 12 nipple milk bars but that would mean you have to get into pen and move calfs over..can not figure a easy way to feed in pens of 20 or 30 making sure each calf gets its share
I going to start out with 5 right now and see how thing go, I think i still remember most of the stuff I learn on the farm mean mean yrs ago, we milk about 100 heard two time a day, then I left for the marines and while I was gone granddad sold the farm, it been a while but I think thing will come back to me as I do them. the only thing that I not been able to find out is where to sale, my Question is do I sale at a sale barn or is there a diff market place for veal. I try to look on line and I not been able to find much about where to market my prodce after I get it ready to sale. lots on how to get started and then make it better.
Thank
Robert n Randi
Green Acres

Radavis you will need to BE CLOSE TO A SLAUGHTER HOUSE ...that butchers for VEAL to sell as Veal..usually around big dairy markets.....most grow there own then slaughter......none around me...they also want them kept inside out of sun with no grain or grass just MILK TILL THEY GET TO 400 pounds....thats a lot of milk

101 - 120 of 209 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.