Sago Palm questions?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gdvest1977, Jun 13, 2006.

1. gdvest1977

gdvest1977 New Member

Hey I got a Sago Palm in my front yard and I'm not sure if it is male or female. It does produce a cone in the center of it, Any help? Also I've noticed that has began to fork off in two directions. Can I chut it down below the fork and start the growth over again? All suggestions well be appreciated thanks.

2. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

:hobbyhors It is very easy to tell the male from the female.
    The Queen has soft fronds. The King has hard sharp points on the fronds.

3. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

I aint sure I understand the question.I wouldn't reccomend just cutting it off below the fork,though.You can remove one side of the fork,and transplant the side you cut off,and it'll probably grow.

4. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Can you clarify? Is it that there is a new "pup" coming up from the side? If that is the case the new pup would be a bit smaller than the original larger bulb that the palm is growing from. If that is what you have, get yourself a pry bar and some gloves and pry it up once from underneath then put the pry bar in between the pup and the mother plant. Be rough with it....it won't hurt the mother plant. When you get the pup removed, put it 1/3 of the way into some dirt and it'll grow in a few months.