Safegaurd Horse Wormer for Dogs

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Horse2Harley, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Horse2Harley

Horse2Harley New Member

Hello,

thought this would be a good place to ask about using Horse Wormer on dogs. A good friend of mine asked me if I had used Horse Wormer on any of our dogs, since we also have horses. I personally have not, but I am now curious if anyone does or has and if so what did you use and how much?

2. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I know some people that use Ivermectin on their dogs, but I haven't used any of the horse wormers on them. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will answer.

3. lscheopner

lscheopner lscheopner

I have. The doseage I was given was 1cc per 5#. That takes a lot of wormer for a big dog and it may be cheaper to use the stuff made for dogs.

4. Horse2Harley

Horse2Harley New Member

Thanks TWOACRESANDAGOAT the websites were very informative.

5. SDjulieinSC

SDjulieinSC Well-Known Member

Be sure that whatever it is you choose to do you DO NOT use "QUEST" brand horse wormer on your dog! It is lethal to dogs. I worked in a mixed practice veterinary clinic that had many clients with both dogs and horses. The majority of them used the horse wormer for their dogs as well as their horses. We were instructed by the doctor to remind the clients, each and every time they purchased it, not to use Quest on their dogs. I just thought I'd throw this tid bit in for you to use in your decision making process. Good Luck.

6. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Safeguard is NOT ivermection- it is panacur. The dosage for dogs is 10x the amount for horses per lb. It is cheaper to buy but I would suggest getting the apple flavor- the dogs eat it better- otherwise can be messy to dose. I use it on pregnant bitches to ward off worms in thier pups, Safe enough to be used daily, but I dose at the proper time as worm larva is hatching for 3 days in a row. It does work.