Safe Guard

Discussion in 'Goats' started by jim/se kansas, Apr 14, 2006.

1. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

Has anyone used Safe Guard dewormer for goats? I would like to try it on my Nubian Does before kidding in May. Thanks for the help. Jim

2. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Yes I have used it and it works fine. Just remember you have to alternate wormers or they will become resistant to it. I mostly use the Safe Guard on the kids as they handle the wite wormers better for their little systems.

JR05

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Safegaurd is not effective in a lot of areas. If you do decide to use it, you really need to do a fecal check afterwards to make sure it worked. I don't use it, but from what I've read, you need give it at 3 to 5 times the recommended dosage, and repeat two more times, 10 days apart.

And alternating wormers is the best way to make parasites resistant. Pick a wormer, and keep using it until it stops working. Then move on to another one. Don't rotate.

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

safeguard still works here in NY.. I only give it one day unless we have a real work problem. Remember to triple the does. Some vets say to stick to the same two wormers till they do not work any long then switch. Liz

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Be sure to really give them a hefty dose. Don't know how your area is for effectiveness. I like to give SG to kids just because it's so safe, just like it says.