Safe-guard dewormer

Discussion in 'Goats' started by tioga12, Aug 25, 2006.

1. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

Can you give goats the medicated pellets, and any recommendations on the dosage? Is there any withdrawal period for the milk?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Intervet

Suspension 10%
    (100 mg/mL)
    Indications:
    Goats - 2.3 mg/lb (5mg/kg) body weight for the removal and control of Stomach worms (adults): Haemonchus contortus and Teladorsagia circumcincta.

Directions:
    Determine the proper dose according to estimated body weight. Administer orally. The recommended dose of 2.3 mg/lb (5 mg/kg) is achieved when 2.3 mL of the drug are given for each 100 lb body weight.

Body Weight Amount
    25 lb 0.6 mL
    50 lb 1.2 mL
    75 lb 1.7 mL
    100 lb 2.3 mL
    125 lb 2.9 mL

Under conditions of continued exposure to parasites, retreatment may be needed after 4 to 6 weeks.

Store at or below 25°C (77°F). Protect from freezing. Shake well before use.

RESIDUE WARNINGS: Goats must not be slaughtered for food within 6 days following treatment. Because a withdrawal time in milk has not been established, do not use in lactating goats.

The percentage in the pellets is different than the suspension, but if you stick to the mg/lb the amount of active ingredient will be the same. For sheep (150 lbs) it works out to be about 2.6 oz of the Equibit pellets. The hardest part to me is making sure each one gets the full dose. They would have to be fed seperately, and a few of my sheep refuse to eat them. Goats may be different

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Safeguard (panacure) hasn't worked in our area in...forever. I use Cydectin. It is a purple liquid pour on for cattle that you give ORALLY to goats at 1cc / 25 lbs. It smells like kerosene but that's ok. I give it every 19 days for 3 rounds. There is no milk withdrawal.

4. tioga12

tioga12 Well-Known Member

I have used Cydectin but was informed that that is really pulling out the big guns here. Safeguard is used effectively by others in our area (colder northern region.) It is also much more affordable than Cydectin. So I wanted to give it a try.