Safe Food Safe Feed Program

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lazy J, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Lazy J

Lazy J Well-Known Member Supporter

I read on one of the forums here a post that mentioned the Safe Food Safe Feed program as a certification to prevent the use of GMOs in livestock feed. Unfortunately I do not have access to that forum to present the truth about this program.

The Safe Food Safe Feed program is administered by the American Feed Industry Association as a certification program that goes above and beyond current governmental regulations to ensure safe, wholesome feed for producing food in the United States.

There are no references to GMO segregation, prohibition, or use. For more information you can visit:

http://www.safefeedsafefood.org/main/home.cfm

The mills owned by my employer are all Safe Food Safe Feed certified.

Jim

2. "SPIKE"

"SPIKE" Well-Known Member

I guess you are talking about my post in the goat section.

Here is the post,

"Non-GMO Alfalfa pellets
    I added this info to the "everyone should watch this" thread, but though it may be good to mention seperately for those interested that might miss it in the other thread. I would hate to eleminate alfalfa pellets totally, since my hay is a mixed grass. This is what the Tennessee Farmer's Co-op in my area sells

Dehy Alfalfa Mills
    5935 McCall Lane
    Arlington, NE
    www.dehyalfalfamills.com (site is under some construction at this time)
    Phone 402-478-4344 402-478-4344

I spoke with Brent and David is the owner. They have a 5000 acre farm and grow Non-GMO alfalfa. You may be able to find a distributor in your area. They have a Certified Facility SAFE FEED/SAFE FOOD label on the bag, which I learned has to do with the facility more than the products themselves. I suggested to Brent that if they really sell non-GMO they should add that to the label. They do spray crops, but also have a totally organic line.

SPIKE"

I took the time to find out what SFSF ment before I made the post. Maybe I was not clear in the above bolded sentence.
    Being SFSF certified is a testimate to the quality of the operation and how they handle their products. I did not say SFSF had anything to do with GMO.
    They do go above and beyond minimum required governmental standards at their facility.

SPIKE

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Sounds like a good company making a good product. Maybe they can sell non GMO pellets and make more money? There can be a backlash if people perceive marketing is trying to sell to fears. I know I would instantly compare prices to regular pellets to see if I'm paying for a label.

Wanda and haypoint like this.
  4. Lazy J

[quote="SPIKE";6444367]They do go above and beyond minimum required governmental standards at their facility.

SPIKE[/quote]

I did a quick search for other facilities that are Safe Feed Safe Food certified in Nebraska. In addition to Dehy I found these:

Cozad Alfalfa, Inc.
    Darling International Inc.
    Frenchman Valley Coop
    Furst-McNess Company
    Global American Terminals LLC
    ILC Resources
    International Nutrition
    Kent Nutrition Group, Inc.
    Merrick's, Inc.
    Nova Microbial Technologies
    P&G Pet Care
    PCS Sales
    Prince Agri Products
    Provimi North America, Inc.
    Westway Feed Products, LLC

I happen to be associated with two of the companies on that list.

You'll notice that this list is missing the big boys specifically: ADM Alliance Nutrition, Hubbard Feeds, Cargill, LOL/Purina.

Good for Dehy and the others on that list for going above and beyond for their customers.

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I just sent an email to the contact person asking about GMO feed.

It's a worry that the GMO question isn't addressed in the FAQ.

6. Alice In TX/MO

Here's the email discussion with the safe feed organization.

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:46 AM
    To: Keith Epperson
    Subject: question about what feeds you certify as safe

Good morning,
    Your organization is under discussion on a website for goat owners. One question that has come up is GMO feeds. Does your organization address this? Are your feeds GMO free?

Thank you for your time and dedication to safe feed.

Alice Kaspar
    Ganado, Texas

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Keith Epperson <KEpperson@afia.org> wrote:
    Good morning Alice

The American Feed Industry Association is a trade association that represents the feed and related industries in Washington. We do not manufacture feed or handle ingredients. We are very active in feed and food safety with four different feed safety programs to promote feed safety in the industry.

You can view the programs on our web site at:

http://www.safefeedsafefood.org/main/home.cfm

Regards;

Keith Epperson
    Vice President Manufacturing & Training
    563-506-3700

Keith,
    I had read the website and noticed that you do not address GMO grains as part of your feed safety paradigm.

You didn't answer my question at all, so I assume that your organization is not concerned about GMO feeds.

The board that I mentioned in my email has members from all over the world, and a significant number in the northwest.

I will pass on your dissappointing repsonse to them

Alice

yarrow likes this.
  7. Alice In TX/MO

It's just balderdash. They don't manufacture, they don't handle feed, they don't do anything but push papers, hold meetings, and collect a paycheck. How disappointing.

8. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate Supporter

Thanks for that research, Alice.

9. Lazy J

Why is it balderdash, the AFIA is a regulation organization. They don't make the rules they just enforce them. Based on the current feed regulations there is no need for them to take a stance on GMO regs.

That is not different than being mad at the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration because Ford won't well pink Pickup Trucks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. Lazy J

You might not like it, but that is exactly they are. They simply enforce the regulations.

11. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Would you expect UL labs to manufacture your light bulbs?

haypoint likes this.
  12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a tough thing.

You or me or the other poster here.... We kinda have our own food and feed setup maybe. We have our hands on our controls, and are used to that.

Most people in the USA do not. They go to the store, and buy what they need, far far far removed from where it is grown, or processed.

Those folk need someone watching out for them, that their food has some sort of honesty in it.

Because, all us humans are alike. We gravitate towards cutting corners.

If I sell you a cow or a bunch of broccoli personally, we look at each other and the item, and it goes pretty well. That is what many here are used to.

But 90% of the people in this country don't get that opportunity. Their food is raised way over there, shipped well off to yonder to be processed, and then shipped on down the long road to where they buy it.

So, the govt has set up some rules and regulations to keep food a little safer, little more honest.

But a lot of folk don't trust the govt so much any more, and probably most here on this site can relate to that a bit.

So other, private groups have sprung up, to offer their own private stamp of approval, to try to keep the stuff they oversee a bit more honest.

Really comes down to that one on one transaction between the person growing the broccoli as being the best, all the govt and private labeling systems get into being much much farther removed from your food and feed production.

But, they try.

Lot of apple stands pop up here in the fall, a fun experience for folks to go grab fresh apples from the local orchard. But, if you look into it, better than half the apples get shipped in from another state.....

Farmers markets are cool place to buy veggies in summer. But, as people get successful at it, they divide up into those good at growing the produce, and those good at selling the produce, and you will find the person selling you the fresh produce actually bought it from several different growers, and again is just a middle man. Some are real good at growing, and others have the transportation. Handling, and selling knack, so it always comes back to people dividing up into little compartments and gathering produce from all over, and selling it to places where there are buyers....

If you gphave a neighbor or small market where you know the food/feed history from ground to your driveway, you have a very special thing.

Not many have that opportunity, it just is very uncommon.

This is all just human nature.

These certifying businesses are trying to offer a value to 90% of the population that don't have your opportunity.

Now, can we trust those organizations any more than the farmers, the processors, the sellers?

A good question. All they are is a level of paperwork added to your food/ feed production. Do they really add much?

That is up to all of us to decide.

We all run on human nature. Most folks don't have access directly to farmers who raise and sell.

How do we keep it all honest?

A tough question, it really is.

If you have a direct access, realize you are special and have a good thing. Most people do not.

And, I did not mention gmo once in this message. ;) it is all levels of food quality and safety, whatever those words mean to you.....

Paul

Steve L. likes this.
  13. Alice In TX/MO

The *claim* to have higher standards that the government folks require. So what? If they aren't REALLY looking to protect the population from something more significant, I don't need them. This is entirely my view.

I don't see where we need the organization at ALL.

Of course, I don't expect UL to manufacture light bulbs, but I don't need another tinkle-in-the-wind organization adding to the confusion.

14. Lazy J

Unfortunately Alice you don't understand the feed industry and why the AFIA is such an important organization to the production of feed.

The AFIA is charged with managing the regulations surrounding feed manufacture. They help maintain a level playing field through managing the definition of terms so items can't be hidden in feed using false terms, they manage the way a tag must be designed and what information must be included on a tag. Without them we would have a true mess in the feed industry.

As far as they are concerned GMO is not an issue because there are no regulations or laws in place regulating the use of GMO products in feed. If there were they would enforce and manage those regulations.

Jim

Steve L. likes this.
  15. Ross

Depends on the market ours regulates items for sale as self produced only with association approved exceptions. An example would be, Maple syrup, if nobody is producing it AND it can be locally sourced , we'll allow a vendor to bring it.

16. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Certainly, Ross. And different markets will be run differently. Sounds like yours is aimed at being very local and close to the grower.

But, in the end, as a buyer I'd have to take the orginizations word for it......

We either grow our own food, or trust someone who is selling it to us.

Does a stack of paperwork matter, or does a govt stamp matter?

We get all upset when the govt doesn't look out for our interests, and we get all upset when the govt interferes with what we do.

Kinda funny, if its not directly affecting us that day. :)

Kinda makes us mad, if it is affecting us that day.....

And so, we argue about it, and blow off steam, and then back to work in the morning.....

Not much will change.

Most folks on this site are trying to get back closer to nature, and want more control of their food and feed. But that's a lot of work, and life gets in the way, and so we buy some stuff too.

Gets tricky how we view the stuff we buy, and what personal qualities we are looking for.

And then we stop understanding each other, and get frustrated with each other, and its a mess.

I think we all hope to do better at what we do, growing a row of carrots for ourselves, or growing 100s of acres of commodity corn or soybeans or wheat.

Folks have said they don't like some things, and together we need to better understand each other.

As I farm corn and soybeans, I'm trying to figure out ways to grow them better, more, and cheaper, as that is what people I sell to say is important.

But somewhere along the way we don't quite see each others issues and reasoning and see the whole truth.

We've kinda argued with each other along the way, and probably just tired of each other, the sides on these issues.

Hope some day we can hear each other a little better. Both sides. That day probably isn't today yet.......

As a farmer growing corn and soybeans, I have a dozen reasons pesticides or gmo crops are good thing......

Some folks have a dozen reasons they are a bad thing....

I think both of us are surprised by the other side.

Buying local, raising your own, being more involved is a good thing.

Hope some day we can close the gap of information, but not ever tell the other side what they have to do.

Well guess I rambled a lot there, probably not making much sense.

Paul

Ross and Wanda like this.
  17. Ross

Yeah Paul a little and maybe you gotta be in a receptive frame of mind but as rambled as it might be, its true enough! :)