Sadly enough...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by animal_kingdom, Jun 26, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

:no: My mini rex finally had her baby tonight. Only one. It was HUGE! Twice as big as the other rabbit that had hers on the wire this past week.

We were so excited! Tonight she was burrowing a hole in her nest and was pulling out lots of fur.

I went out to check on her just now and noticed she looked like she was licking something with her butt end facing out of the nest box. I rustled some feed in her tray and she hopped out. The baby was cool to the touch. It's tongue was hanging out a little bit between it's tiny teeth and the tongue was blue. He already had some fur on him. Last babies we saw had no fur on them. But again, it was the size of two babies. There were no other babies in site. I rubbed my hands all over the mama rabbits head, face and chin and then reached in to pick it up and inspect it. That's how I saw the blue tongue. It was laying on it's back. Maybe it was born still. Today was day 34.

Since now both rabbits have had a baby or more, I think this next time should do well unless it gets any hotter. It's not too bad where they are, under some pines.

Feel bad for the rabbits. Now if we re-breed her tomorrow, we'll hopefully have babies a week apart...IF they do better next round...
    :no:

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Next time you find a cold baby, put it someplace next to your body and let it get warm. I was at someone's house and found three brand new babies that had fallen from the hutch three feet onto the ground and were quite cold and dead looking. I stuck them in my bra (my cleavage has adequate room :) ) and after a half-hour or so, they were all wiggling around. The owner put them back in with Mom, but alas, she ate them. Still, I learned that cold, "dead" babies can actually be alive, you just can't tell till you warm them up.

3. GoldenWood Farm

GoldenWood Farm Legally blonde! Supporter

I do the same thing. I have done it with baby ducks, chicks, and baby rabbits. Almost all where revived. I just stick em in my bra and go on with my chores..checking them every once and a while to see how they are doing.

It works like a charm.

MotherClucker

4. animal_kingdom

all right, now I know. I think I remember someone saying that on the poultry board.

I probably had time to do that because it was not long after it had been born. Wondering...if the tongue was a dark blue, do you think he still could have lived?

5. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

6. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your baby :waa: but you're right...Next time will go better for all involved. I'm still a newbie but isn't it odd for her to have only one? Even though it was big? At least yours has the mother instinct and wanted to take care of it. Mine didn't even pull out hair. Lost three in the last tropical depression becuase the mother needs to be a jacket. :grump: But I re-bred her and I think she'll be fine. Good luck!

7. animal_kingdom

My girls were telling me the same thing...Mama..that is totally strange that there is only one. What's the deal with that?

I thought that the mama rabbit must have absorbed all the others...but I really don't know much, just a thought.

I'm hoping to be ankle deep in bunnies 4 weeks from now!