Sad Saga of the Nubian Buck..

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mammawof3, Dec 13, 2006.

1. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Helping my dad,who has problems w/waliking-move his herd around b-4 winter. Does are all bred to proper bucks-and so, does go back together and bucks go to a "new build shelter" for their winter home. All goes well, till a certain 250#-at least-4 year old Nubian buck, gets scared and decides to pull the halter off and high tail it--w/the help of a well meaning teenager,he ends up heading for "parts unknown"-then after 2 hours of tracking, and further "help" from a neighbor on a 4WHEELER (of all things!!) :flame: --he managed to really disapear from us! Last heard of, someone saw him on the other side of a busy highway-heading for miles and miles of cropland (step mom had put notices up,someone called her) that was a week after we lost all track of him..the really sad part is, he has about a 3 foot rope around his neck!! So, if anyone in North West Indiana, around the towns of Shelby, Schneider-happen upon a large dark red purebred Nubian buck,trailing a black rope-please be so kind as to simply open a gate to a extra pen, put some feed in-wait till he enters-shut the gate-pm me. Unfortunatly, everyone who saw him so far, tried to catch him-which pushed him further away. I know they meant well...so many, "if onlys"..i feel so bad for my dad...and certainly horrible for the buck..sure wish he DID NOT have the rope on!! :Bawling:

2. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

I'm in North West Central Indiana, but I'll put the word out as best I can...

Sorry. I know it's frustrating...

Someone may mistake him for a deer, unfortunately...

Good Luck!

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

I am happy to report, that sometimes the "seemingly impossible" CAN happen! After being gone 2 1/2 weeks-the very day i posted this-(Dad called me last night)-miles away from home, someone saw the buck hanging around his horse pen, had the presence of mind to open the gate, wait for him to enter-close it--a neighbor of this person had seen one of the notices. Dad took his trailor, along w/the "Boss" Doe--walked her into the horse pen-the buck was soo happy to see her--he followed them right into the trailor and came home!! Other than being a bit thin--and very happy to be home-he seems fine-still had the rope around his neck! Wonder if he realises how LUCKY he is!! :) Thanks to everyone for the "well wishes" in this matter.Merry Christmas!

4. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear this. Miracles do still happen.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

wow, good to hear he is still alive and home again. i bet he is happy too.
    too bad he can't tell where he has been :rolleyes:

6. Gailann Schrader

A year or so ago a neighbor a mile from me called and asked if I was missing a mature doe goat.

Nope, but I'll look at her for you!

These folks are BEEF CATTLE folks and they were afraid to touch her but had penned her up when she took possession of their abandoned chicken coop.

I went and looked at this skinny, cranky, combative Boer doe...

She was snorting and posturing for us to leave her alone...

Told them to check with the County as she had a scrapies tag - and I would take her if she wasn't traceable until we could find her owners.

Turns out? She was an $800+ doe that had gotten loose from a local breeder after he had someone else trailered her. 5 months prior. She had crossed the Wabash River at least twice to get to my mile away neighbor's house...

I'm really pleased you got him back and someone was savvy enough to put him in! He'll tell his women about his travels for some time...

7. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I love happy endings!!

So glad he's back home!

Kaza

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

How wonderful that you got him back. I have to say, he must of had gardian Angles on his shoulders.

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Well, me and the goats are doing the happy dance for you over here - I'm so glad he's found, safe, and back home!

10. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. What a lucky buck!
    Gailann, your story made my jaw drop. Picturing doe crossing river...

11. Gailann Schrader

I know. In my minds eye I imagine a goat ferry...

She was a corker, lemme tell ya.

Normal weight of ~225lb. and when I saw her she was ~135lb.

But still cranky...

She's back to throwing champion babies...

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Not such a sad saga eh? :)

13. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

so do you have the wayword Doe or did the owners get found and come to claim her?

again thats awsome about your Buck comming home, am so glad he was able to be found safe and sound

14. Gailann Schrader

The wayward doe went back to her owners, who happen to be friends/business friends of mine! They were very unhappy she got away to begin with. The person trailering her didn't know goats.

They were VERY happy to get her back.

I told them I would have just EATEN her. (lol)

How she got to my neighbor's house would make a fascinating story if we really knew.

We also have lots of coyotes and dogbands around. But she had horns and an attitude!

15. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

good deal!!!!!!

16. marcir

marcir Well-Known Member

Cats and goats are very resourceful in the wild, aren't they? My friend had a very expensive young Togg buck escape in the southern Oregon hills and last she heard he had collected his own herd of does and was living free and wild. It's the stuff Disney movies are made out of...

17. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

Goats will easily go feral, just look what happend in Australia and NewZealand, and that island off the cost of California (dont remimber the name) feral goats everywhere.
    feral goats in Oregon now huh? thats cool, have they been there for long? or are they recent escapees?