sad sad sad

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gryndlgoat, Dec 22, 2006.

1. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Two nights ago something disturbed the goats- I heard them hollering outside at the fence in pitch darkness- they never stay out in the dark, always in the barn at sunset. I went out to check on them and they all came in, seemed nervous but otherwise fine. I gave them extra hay and closed up the barn.

The next day, Sugar the herd queen had completely bagged up! She wasn't due until late January, but she went into full labor. She delivered what would have been triplets- two does and a buck. The first two were dead, the last bleated a bit but was not going to survive. None of them had hair or open eyes. Just heartbreaking.

Sugar is fine today, and now being milked. She has stopped looking for the babies and is back to being queen. She did pass three placentas so I guess she is going to be OK. The other does are all fine.

I did find a muscovy duck carcass out in the pasture- I am guessing a fox came into the barn area (or the barn itself) and scared the bejeezus out of poor Sugar.

Is it possible for sheer fright to cause a goat to abort? And do does automatically come into milk even if they are about to abort their kids?

2. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss. Glad to hear she is doing good today but dang that would be a scared of that happening to a goat. On the thing about a fox it might could happen like they also say anything is possible.

3. PygmyLover

PygmyLover nigerian & pygmy breeder

oh that is sad. Santa come down our street on the firetruck last night and scared my pregnant girls half to death! Full sirenes and all BLARING loud. I am glad he didn't stay long (but 15 minutes was like an eternity!)

I am glad your girl is doing well though. If she is queen manybe she tried to chalange the intruder and was run around (chased or something) that could possibly have caused the early kidding.

4. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Just heartbreaking. Sorry about the babes. I have one due in January also and am keeping an eye on her. This time just seems different for some odd reason. Maybe I am just nervous. Hope the rest of your year ends well.

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    The planet is screwed up and it is wreaking havoc with all the animals.

6. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

It isn't about the planet being screwed up. It happens to people, too. Remember when Katrina happened there were women going itno premature labor?

It's pretty common for animals to go into labor when they've been severely frightened. A dog running stock can cause serious financial loss even if it doesn't bite anything, because cows can end up losing their calves.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

So sorry you had to go through this. One of the down sides of animal raising unfortunately but very sad.

8. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Oh that is just terrible. I'm so sorry for you and Sugar. I had a dog deliver prematurely after being stressed by being chased by a big stray. She was devastated and went into a depression for months (poodles are very sensitive).

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry you lost your kids - that's such a sad disappointment. Glad that Sugar is ok.