Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I bought myself a motorcycle from a place about 80 miles from our home.

Never having driven a cycle before, I went up to the place 3 different days for a few hours of lessons.

The fellow's wife was always in the shop and I did a bunch of visiting with her. We just "clicked" --- a very nice gal -- about my age -- retired from the medical field --- we had lots in common.

On this Monday DH and I had arranged to load the bike on a trailer and take it back up to the shop for a general tune-up.

Steve was there, friendly as ever ---- helped unload the bike and talked about what I wanted to have him check out.

Then we walked inside the shop --- the 2 dogs greeted me --- but, I didn't see Lori.

Before I could ask, Steve says "Did you hear about the accident?"

"No, what accident?"

He says "Nine weeks ago my wife and mother were killed in a car accident".

The poor man lost both his mother and his wife of 28 years in the same accident.

Apparently she was blinded by the setting sun, perhaps a deer had run across in front of her (very common on the stretch of highway), but Lori ran off the road and hit a tree.

She and her MIL were gravely injured and died a just few hours after being air lifted to the Duluth hospital.

I didn't know the lady all that well but the news of her death has left me shaking.

We had had but a brief moment in our lives that we shared, but her death leaves me overwhelmed.

Thanks for listening.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
That's truly sad, Tallpines. There's nothing to say from an outsider except how sorry I am. It sounds like she had a wonderful gift of touching people around her.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a similar incident when the farmer who sold us our feed & hayed our field died in a silo accident. He had become a friend in a very short time. Its amazing how certain people can affect us so deeply & profoundly in such a short amount of time. I am sorry for yours and his loss.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
What a tragic loss. I can understand why you would be totally shaken by the unexpected news. Hugs to you and prayers to Steve. :(

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
When something sudden happens like that, I get a taste of my own mortality and it's frightening. The line bewteen life and death is so fine and we never know when we're going to cross over. It leaves me feeling very unsettled for a while. Perhaps that is what you are feeling. I'm so sorry for you and your friend's husband. I can't imagine the loss he must be suffering at this time.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
How terribly sad.

Lori must have been a wonderful person to have made such a strong early impression.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
How awful! 2 people at the same time.. heartbreaking for sure i would feel the same way. a month ago around where i grew up a husband and wife were killed in a motorcycle accident after a family reunion in fact they were on there way home there kids said goodbye to them and it happened just after they left a little ways down the road a car pulled in front of them , I knew there kids i felt very sad for them :(

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I'm sorry for you, losing someone you had such an instant connection with. And I'm sorry for the man who lost his life companion and his mother in one horrible accident.

I guess the best any of us can hope for is that when it's our turn to go, we leave behind people who will miss us, love us, and have such good memories of the things we did and said. That's a life well lived, whether it's long or short.

·
Banned
9,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I met Lori, her sister had died the year before (struck by a hit and run driver).
The sister owned a "collectibles" type gift shop and Lori was preparing to have an auction to sell the stuff.

She had shown me all the beautiful stuff, and she gave me a 3 piece Nativity set.

I look forward to getting it out this Christmas season.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
tallpines,
The lord moves us all in mysterious ways; sometimes closer and sometimes farther away from people and experiences. The only way I have found to be truely humble to His will is to make something blessed out of it all.
Perhaps, you were moved into their lives to support Steve? To check on him a bit and be in place when he is low? I know you will, anyway, but keeping a special watchful eye over your neighbor may be in the plan for you.

I am sorry you are suffering with this, but deciding to make a kindness out of your pain may help you heal a bit.

My thoughts are with you, Jill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts