Sad day...weak buckling put out of misery...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I'm sad to say that there was nothing to help this little buckling of ours. Evidently the coccidiosis destroyed him. We couldn't help him get back on track. He laid on his side and just couldn't do anything. He wasn't even able to move to go poop. He just laid there. He was like a vegetable almost. I couldn't take it anymore. He was just wasting away and what a horrible thing to watch. He must have been miserable. He had to be put down. I had been really trying to help him and had high hopes. However, it has been my experience so far that there isn't much you can do for a sick goat. One day sick, tomorrow dead. I hope I don't have to see much more of this. I'm ready for some good times.

2. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a few suffer from this early last year. one died, the other one, I pumped full of HUGE doses of penicillin (2 cc per day, I think) for a solid week, and she pulled through. Then I worked with her every day to help her get walking again. She's still kicking today, though I think she's kinda retarded and she's definitely a little lame in her back end. But she still gets around, and had two wonderful healthy babies this spring.

3. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Yep, I've had it happen to more goats than I care to think about. :Bawling: It's very sad....cry if it makes you feel better. He isn't suffering any more, and you did your best.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You know in your heart when it's time to put an animal down. I have an old horse now that is fast approaching that time and it breaks my heart. She was the kids' horse and has been a wonderful animal. But she is so old now that there is nothing that can be done. I am the one who puts the animals down out here, but i can't bring myself to shoot this horse. I'm gonna be a sissy and have the vet make a farm call and euthanize her. So sad.

I am sending good thoughts your way as I know you have had troubles with your goats. You did what needed to be done for this one when the time came. I am sure he knew you loved him.

5. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I'm so sorry.

I hope your luck starts turning around soon.

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I am so sorry about your luck. I have been thinking about him and praying he would come out of it. sometimes no matter what we do, they have another place they need to be. HI am sure he is watching over you and the rest of the herd. I just hope out of this sad time you learned something. I think we go through these times just so we learn something so we are ready the next time. Hugs from the Sweet Goat farm in CO. {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was hoping the little fella would pull through. It's so sad to lose one like that. Hopefully all will go well for a long, long time.

8. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

OH, I'm so sorry - I posted to another one of your threads - but will repeat here - sometimes it's best to let go. He's not in pain anymore.

Thoughts are with you....

Andrea

9. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry, but agree it had to be done. This decision is never easy, but once a goat is down that bad, it rarely recovers. I had an elderly Persian cat who was losing weight and had a bad sinus infection. I talked to my vet about putting her down soon. The next day, the kitty died on her own. I feel sad, but also grateful she is no longer suffering.

10. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. You've been having such bad luck. I hope it turns around soon. Alot of people would have gotten out of goats if they'd had the experiences you've had starting out. I'm glad you are hanging in there because in the long run the pleasure of having goats around is worth a little pain along the way.

11. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Tell my husband that. He says that he hates them all. He didn't hate them and I actually don't believe that he really hates them. I think he is just sick of them getting sick and dying and costing us so much time and money. We have a lot of maitenance to get done around here and we are now behind on that for doctoring goats 24/7!! Now, all the sick ones are dead. Whaaaaa!!! At least I can focus on the health of the rest of my herd. I feel, even though we've lost several, the ones that are left must be very hardy to have made it through all that. It has been trying and heartbreaking but I still love the critters. We have a few that are so sweet. Also, now that I have met someone nearby who I can call for help, it will be nice. We have a better idea about what to do now too, since we have seen her setup. Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate it. You are all so kind.

12. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Where did you buy them from, and where do you live?