Saanen Buck in rut NOW?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Spinner, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I was out watching them for a while and saw the buck put his head down and spuirt his urine into his mouth. I've not seen him do that before and have read that it is a sign of rutting season. Is there any other reason for his actions? This is awful early in the year for him to go into rut isn't it?

Now, shortly before all this happened I gave him some alfafla cubes that had been soaked in warm water to soften. Was he maybe excited because he ate a treat? This is only the second time I've gave him the alfafa cubes, last time they weren't soaked and it was very hard for him to eat the hard cubes.

The doe didn't want anything to do with the alfafa. The buck went nuts over it.

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

My bucks are in rut now, it's not too early...

Of course, they will have to wait til Sept-Oct to breed the does, I want all my kids in the spring born at near the same time!

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I was just noticing this morning that the boys are getting potent. They have each had some odor to them (one 3 yr old Boer/Saanen and one 2 yr old Boer) but I could *smell* them from afar today. When the yearling Nubian returns it should be interesting.
    It is about time to get them out of sight, sound and smell of the does. I like the does cycling together after reintroducing the boys to them.

4. Spinner

Thanks for the info. I thought it would be another month or two before rutting season. Now I know my boy is normal... LOL

5. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Im SO glad you posted this!!! I thought I was going nuts. Mom's nubian buck would mount a hole in a tree right now. My poor lamancha buck got his head stuck in the fence (darn horns) and before I could get him out (and I happen to be RIGHT THERE when it happened....so its not like I wasnt immediatly aware of the situation) the nubian was on him like white on rice. I chained him to a post for a while to give the poor lamancha a rest. I told mom that had he been ME I'd have went over there and beat the stuffing outta that nubian for violating him so!!!!! punky little ....yeah that b word. *sheesh*

6. stormwalker

stormwalker Well-Known Member

Every one of my bucks are roaring!!!!
    This is the earliest I've ever seen them go into rut.
    It's quite pungent out there. LOL

7. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I was bragging last month how my 2 year old boy does not stink. Guess what he smells very bad now !!!!! I thought I just jinx myself. Glad you all have smelly boys to.

8. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

My nubian bucks are also in full rut. The little five month old got through the fence and bred his sister a couple of days ago. :nono: So I'm going to have to make a trip to the vet for some lutylese if she doesn't cycle again. :rolleyes: The big buck is smelling up the whole barn. :help:
    mary

9. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I have had that trouble. The vet can give you the shot and you can do it. They recomend they have the shot 7-10 days after the buck got her. If you have asthma, be VERY careful because it will cause a asthma attach, (boy did I find out the hard way, I use a mask and gloves) also if you are pregnant it can cause a human to abort.

10. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the warning. I'm past child-bearing, but hadn't thought of it being an issue for asthma.
    mary

11. wooly1s

wooly1s Well-Known Member

It can happen this early...I delivered a kid on my neighbor's farm (her first) the first week in December! Glad it was there and not here...we separated our boys, including this year's buckling, from the herd last month.

12. Spinner

Now I'm making plans to build a safe and secure double wall "jail" for my doeling. She is about 6 weeks old now so will probably be in danger in another month or 2. The goats have changed from fun to work very quickly. Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle? It should be the buck that goes to "jail" so the does can run free.