Saanen / Boer cross? Also ?s about testing.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kimi, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Kimi

Kimi Active Member

Do Saanens and Boers cross well?

When I'm ready to start buying, should they already be tested? Should I ask the seller to test them and would they be offended? Should I pay if I make the request and what if the test(s) come back positive, should I still pay for the testing? And finally, what ALL should I test for?

One more...how do people that are sensitive (to 'life' in general), harden themselves to butcher a goat they raise from a baby???
    I went to a breeder's farm today to get some goat milk and they had little babies that were SO lovable and so funny. How in the world does one get past that?
    Now I'm wondering if I'm barkin' up the wrong tree.....I'm just so tender-hearted when it comes to animals. :waa:

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I've crossed Boer and Saanens no problem,but always liked crossing with Nubian better.

big rockpile

3. mailman

mailman Miniature Cattle

Hi, what can we expect to see if we cross the two? Why is Nubian better than a Saanan cross in your opinion? Is it color, milk quality, conformation? Does anyone have a picture of 1/2 Saanan and 1/2 Boer cross?
    Thanks....Dennis

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Butchering is something that you work thru the first few times...tears and all. It does get easier especially when it is for an animal you specifically marked for the table.
    My first butcher was a deer that hubby shot...had no relationship to it so it was just gross the first time. The second was a first freshener doe of excellent breeding that strangled herself....I could not justify not eating the meat as it would be wasteful. I cried all the way thru but glad that I pushed thru. Then we butchered a calf we raised on goats milk. I was tired of caring for him at the time of butchering! and ready for him to serve my purpose instead of me serving him. I most recently gave a surplus buck to my destitute neighbor and explained just how to do it....walked the goat up to his home said goodbye to the little bugger and walked away happy to provide nourishment to those in need.

If you cant work thru it than farming is not for you...but you can still keep a pet or two! A dairy and meat cross is a great choice though if you are looking for meat and milk for your table.

5. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hi Dennis, you could get something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Heres a picture of a Saneen/Boer buck, he is just under a year old.

[​IMG]
    Here is a Nubian/Boer buck, he is 5/6 months old

The Nubian has a better rear, more muscle compared to the Saneen.

6. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that there is a big difference between a saneen boer cross and a boer saneen cross. Only using saneen because that is what you asked about.

Our experience has been with Boer Angora crosses and Angora Boer crosses. What's the difference you ask? It is the male that inputs the genetics of the breed into the embryo. I have seen folks try to sell a 1/4 Boer 3/4 nubian kid when in actuallity it is a 3/4 nubian 1/4 boer. You increase your genetics through the male. The more you use boer genetics the more muscling you will put on any breed. We are also crossing Boer bucks with pygmy does and so far have we have had outstanding results.

7. Ksar

Ksar Member

Hi Ken
    Thanks for clarifying that for us, the bucks above where out of a 88% Boer buck crossed with the Saneen doe, and a Nubian doe). I too breed to 2 pygmy's the cross is quite good. I get medium height, stocky, muscular kids. Never know what colors will come out, thats the fun part.
    Ksar

8. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

kimi i don't know about the crosses but if you want some healthy stock buy some animals. make a contract with the breeder that you will test the animals and in case any comes back positive you want your money back and return the goats. have them tested at least for
    cae and cl. every reputable breeder would agree to that.
    susanne

9. Ksar

Ksar Member

Thank you Dennis, I am a picture nut...LOL

Ken: I bet the belted babes are cute, I got a paint(belted) doe from the sister of the red buck in the pic. 'Paint' twin is Boer backwards, she has a white head and a light redish/tan body.
    On my Pygmy's, I have one small nanny, her kids are short, I have a Pygmy/boer cross(no relation) that produces huge kids, though she is not much bigger than the other Pygmy. Currently her doe kid is bigger than the Nubians doe kid, both born on the same day at the same time.

I will have to follow your progress, as I am adding registered Boer blood lines to my new herd. Have 2 small herds, no where near 94, oh goodness, I would be nuts. I am at 20 head now, but some buying and selling is on schedule for this Saturday. As a few of my young bucklings, and a family of Pygmy's I picked up this last Saturday have to go. I am sure some more will come home. I will have both a cross herd and a FB herd. So I share your excitement for the coming months.

Ksar