?'s on Weighing a Boat Trailer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rio002, May 9, 2004.

1. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Hi there, we bought a boat and trailer combo fairly cheap last fall, partly because both boat and trailer are 1960's, but we are only the second owners and the original owners also own one of the only 2 boat shops here in town, so the conditions are real good for both. Though getting the title mess straightened out on the boat was tough, we now have to title the trailer ( 1960 Dilly 18 ft.Trailer ) we have made it past inspection but was informed we need to have it weighed before we can apply for the title. Question is where and what should we expect to get in paperwork ie: is it a certificate, a stamp or what from the weigh station? Also can the truckers' weigh stations on the side of the highway register something as small as a boat trailer or are we likely to have better luck calling a gravel pit that might have a scale? Just hoping to have a better idea of what to expect as the boat has to be off the trailer I hear for the weighing which means DH will be floating around the river while I am having it weighed myself. Thanks!

2. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Take it to your local grain mill. They often issue weight stamps, take it to a stock stop they usually have :"CAT" scales that will issue weight slips.

I am supprised you even need a title. In Ohio a bill a sale and a weight stamp will get you a tag.

3. punkrockpilot

punkrockpilot Well-Known Member

Take it to a scrap yard - they will be happy (for a fee) to weigh it and give you a weight slip.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

a local truckstop let them know what you need it for ,you need a certified weigh ticket . a CAT scale or a Interstate either one will do. if you go to a D. O.T. scale and pull on your busted and a big fine so do not go there. what state are you in? the clerk of courts should tell you where to go and have a list to pick from...

5. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Thanks all, in fact we had discussed just pulling on to a DOT scale lol glad we didn't.....here in WA state we have to have a title to have it covered with my insurance that I carry on the SUV, no title means no insurance and here that means a $500 ticket ( if I get stopped) but equally it'll get me stopped because until it's weighed I can't apply for a license plate. Whew! lots of hoops to jump through just to fish........ :cool: