?'s living full time in an RV getting ready for winter

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ang in AZ, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Ang in AZ

Ang in AZ Active Member

Tell me what you do to get ready for winter. I am in a stationary 5th wheel any advice would be appreciated. concerns water, heat, and sewer.

Thanks, Ang

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

my first question is why do you need to get ready for winter if you live in arizona? LOL do you live by prescott or flagstaff or springerville? you will need to get your heat source serviced and your flues/vents cleaned out. also you can put plastic sheeting over your window screens and put them back on the windows if you do not have double panes (will really help keep the heat in). if you leave for several days of below freezing temps you will need to put antifreeze in your drains.

3. Ang in AZ

Ang in AZ Active Member

I live just outside of Show Low, Az. We are at 6700 feet above the sea.

Thanks, Ang

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................Try to put skirting all the around the trailer so as to keep the cold air from circulating underneath the trailer where the Tanks are situated . WRAP the hose that supplies water with heat tape and as much insulation as you can afford . If the trailer has single pane windows they will sweat on the inside and you'll have to open a roof vent probably to vent some of the moisture . Maybe sisterpine has already addressed this issue . I would look for a catalytic heater that will not over load your electric system and try to use propane for cooking rather than heating otherwise you're going to spend both monety and time continually refilling those Propane tanks . You'll be surprised at how fast they will empty when your heater is running constantly . fordy... :)

5. MrPG

MrPG Well-Known Member

I have heard of people stacking hay bales around a mobile home to cut down on the wind and provide some insulation. Even just stacking along the north facing wall, which should not contain any doors, would help the loss of heat and thus make it more snug.

6. reitenger

reitenger Well-Known Member

It might help to know what year and model of unit you have. Different coaches are set up for winter differently. Some are actually made to take the brutal cold while others freeze at the mention of cold. No matter the model, one of the first things to do is unhook the hose for the outside shower. Let me know what coach you have, and i'll try to give you ideas based on the particular coach. Are you plugged in full time or going off of gen/batteries?

7. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

More info on 5th wheel camper. year-model-condition?????

Kenneth in NC

8. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Cheap Insulation take heavy cardboard boxes (The waxy film on outside best) "Underpin" camper with it. The pipes should have already been wrapped in Thermo/Insulate tape.

How tight is the camper around windows?

I'm assuming that you "cook" indoors, SO keep enough ventilation. Be safe, Not sorry.

Kenneth in NC

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We had pretty good luck last winter in this RV here in AR; the belly is enclosed, and the tanks are heated, but we also run a space heater down there.

We put heat tape then pipe insulation around our water line, the sewer pipe doesn't seem to freeze as we don't leave the black water tank open, just empty as needed.

We don't use the propane furnace to heat, it's too expensive. We use the electric fireplace, and 2 ceramic space heaters. We did this the winter before in CT in our old RV, even though the electric was metered there.

Bake alot, it really heats up an RV :)

Put a featherbed and a feather comforter on your bed, you'll never be cold. Our bed is in a slideout, and I still leave a window up there open.

If you're in a campground, they probabably won't let you put straw or anythiing on for skirting, but you can buy RV skirting which most places will allow.

http://www.springfieldspecialproducts.com/rvskirting.html
    http://www.rvskirting.com/rv_skirting_pics.htm