S Central MO Cell phone users

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texastami, Jun 8, 2005.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Anyone tell me what the signals are like in S Central MO???? We have CINGULAR....... Anyone use them? Anyone better???

We just changed plans (from AT&T) and while I saw their map for coverage... it looks IFFY!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I have communicated with Cingular several times about the lack of service. With their buy-out of AT&T Wireless, I'm hoping things will improve. It has gotten a wee bit better since they put a tower on the west side of Alton, and there is one down at Thayer, too. East of Alton is a huge no-bar zone.

If you are near West Plains, you should be able to get a signal, except if you are in a valley. If you are driving, you have to stop on top of a hill to have a signal, but that's geography, not Cingular's fault. Towers work on line of sight, and they would have to put a tower on every hill to overcome the topography.

Since most of the cell companies share towers, there isn't really any one of them that's better than the other.

They have a list of places they are planning to add towers. What we need to do is be the 'squeeky wheel.'

To have a signal on my place, I have to walk up the hill from the house toward the old barn (about 100 yards), stand on my left foot, hold my right hand in the air with a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around my index finger.

:haha: :haha:

3. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We have US Celular here near Mt.View,MO. Usually no problems and follows me all the way to Columbia with only one small area of poor coverage going thru the rocky bluffs up by Rolla. DEE

4. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

My neighbors used to have US Cellular, too. Gave it up for Cingular. Not much change in service, but better rates.

5. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I don't know how far you are from Paragould AR but my Cingular service works just fine there.

6. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

COOL!! Thanks everyone! We are going to be about 20 miles south of Mountain Grove about 20 miles NW of West Plains so it sounds like we will have at least some service!!

Our property is located on the hilltop...so maybe I'll get a decent signal when I need it!! :)