S.C. Lottery tops 300 Million Got a ticket?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Saw this morning that the South Carolina Lottery has toped 300 million and I wondered how many on here had a ticket for tonights drawing?

If you won would you tell us?

$3 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 0....M i l l i o n....D o l l a r s That's a lot of greenbacks. :D

Kenneth in NC

Link to SC Lottery
    http://www.sceducationlottery.com/

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

300? pocket change lol

Dont it just burn you up that after taxs youd only get about 100 million? lol

What really chaps me is that I see alot of wealthy people winning all the time. You ever see publishers clearing house pull up to an old ladys MOBILE HOME and give her anything? Or is it the stereotypical ''american dream'' family living in a three story house and their first name starts with Dr.

3. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, I've got one but I'm not holding my breath. Would I tell you if I won..probably not! But then I'm not sure I'd tell anyone till I figured out how to deal with everyone that would want a handout!

PQ

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Our State lottery just started here Wed. A TAX that I don't have pay. :rock:

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Powerball is at 290 for saturdays drawing. Of coarse I'm going to buy one, but it would probably be quicker to just roll down my window and throw 5 bucks out the window.

I wouldnt tell anyone, not till I got back from Hawaii and the custom RV was delivered for our trip visiting all those places I never saw when I was younger. We'd be busy, what with the vacation house on the coast and all those charity events... :rolleyes:

6. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

The POWERBALL which has a bunch of states including MO is up to 300 million.

We buy a ticket of 5 drawings once a week. We could spend the $5.00 on something more fruitful.

But we do it because it's actually fun to sit back and laugh and talk about what we'd do with it.

I'd be happy to share this weeks prize with 300 people. :)

I"m not GREEDY you know..........

7. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Did you hear about the tax the states have passed on the mathematically challenged? It is called a lottery!!

8. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup we have 2 Powerball tickets - when it gets up that high it definately has entertainment value. Would we tell anyone we won - no way! Probably wouldn't even tell family the whole truth, more along the lines of we hit a "small jackpot". Probably wouldn't even quit our jobs immediately dh would give 2 weeks notice, and I'd give about 6 weeks, just becuase I really like my boss and would hate to leave her in the lurch.

I would definately be looking into buying one of ranches that are for sale in our area. I'm particularlly fond of the one that is a 100+ acre parcel and has its own 10 acre lake on it, along with a couple of creeks/springs. I'd build my dream barn! Well house too, but the barn would be the bomb! :rock:

9. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I don't have a ticket. If it's still there next week when I go through, I'll buy one.

If I won? The entertainment value of this tax (it's the only tax that has one!) is figuring what you'd do with the money! I've got a list of folks who'd get a chunk of it, including a few HTers...folks I see working hard, and never quite making those ends meet. It would make me feel good to be able to help folks like that, instead of give to a some big charity and have half of it go to "administration".

On the other hand, all those cousins I didn't know I had? They're out of luck!

Meg

10. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Yep, bought into the powerball craze.

Would I change after winning....yep, no more being frugal for me!
    Would dh quit his job....yep
    Would I go on a shopping spree....yep
    Would I drive our old cars that are on their last leg....nope

I'd buy as much property as I can all in one area, and start a family commune, protected by the public as best as I could.

11. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

Games for folks that are really lousy at math.

12. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Or an adventure in imagimnation for a Buck. Now that's cheap entertainment :D

Kenneth in NC

13. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

It is nice to dream about having that massive amount of money, but I think if it ever happened to me, I'd truly be scared to death. Heck, the most I've ever had at one time was 20,000... and that alone was scary enough!

Anyways, I know the first thing I'd do is change my telelphone number to an unlisted one! Oh yeah, and I'd buy up all the neighbors land with their city houses on them and let the land go back to wild.

14. misanthrope747

misanthrope747 Member

It is a tax on those that can't do math if you're playing to win. I play with a friend of mine. I buy the Wednesday ticket and she buys the Saturday ticket. It gives us a good reason to call each other to see whether or not we can turn in our two week notice at work. For one dollar a week, I have some entertainment and good conversation with a friend.

m747

15. palani

palani Well-Known Member

I attended the auction several years ago of a Wisconsin dairy farmer. About 8-10 years before his wife had hit the lottery bigtime. Locals said he owned land from the auction site to the Mississippi river (about 20 miles away). Also they said he had also invested in some land around O'Hare airport in Chicago.

This guys concept of wealth was land and dairy cattle. The auction site had (4) new dairy barns capable of handling 2,000 Holsteins. They wouldn't let us in the parlor but he had spots on the outside for 4 tanker semis to collect the milk. No bulk tank, he was planning to pump right into the semis. He did have a smaller herringbone parlor capable of milking 20 cows with a 500 gallon bulk tank but this was only for the sick cows. They were auctioning off (4) new IH combines as well as a lot of other newly bought equipment.

Anyway, his wife divorced him. He was selling off all the machinery and getting out of dairy. The buildings had never even been used.

He will be sorely missed (by the implement dealer).

16. rickd203

rickd203 Well-Known Member

I am a sucker for those BIG jackpots. I think that's because I have big dreams. I would buy about 1,000 acres of prime land and set up the homestead community of my dreams. My dream community has country style housing for about 200 people along with recreation facilities, community center, health and fitness center, car repair shop and a bunch of other things. It would produce all its own energy and most of its food.

If I won and there was someone that DIDN'T know about it, I wouldn't tell them. I have something I tell all those people that flock to a lottery winner for a handout; NO!!! If I want to give money to anyone, I will contact them.

17. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

No one hit the Powerball jackpot. Estimated to be $350M on Wednesday.

As the saying goes, the chances of winning a lotto like this are about the same whether you buy a ticket or not. However, 1 in something chance is better than zero chance by not purchasing a ticket.

18. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I figured out how to double the chances of winning. Buy two dollars worth.

19. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

Have you guys thought about having homesteaders start a pot? Have someone on the board that can be trusted collect a dollar from everyone that wants to play and buy those tickets. If we win, its divide evenly. Even if it was only a dollar a month, I could afford that.