Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am living in a 31 foot long vintage holiday rambler travel trailer. Does anyone know how to level it without tearing up the pan that encloses the underside? I am living in it and updating and do not want to ruin the underside but need to level the old girl better and get some of the weight off the tires.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Screw jacks under where the bumper in the back comes out and under where the yoke is in the front.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
If you want to take some weight off the wheels, you should be able to put some blocks under the frame right near where the wheels are and allow the rv to rest on those. Shouldn't be too hard to level it side to side.

Then level it front to back with the tongue jack.

If you want, you can then see if you can find the frame of the rv to put either a jack or blocks under each of the four corners.

That ought to be pretty solid. You can do the leveling pretty quick and dirty or be as anal as you want. A basic 1' cheap plastic carpenter's level is all I use. Close is good enough for me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Off topic, but I just have to chime in. We also have a vintage (1973) Holiday Rambler that we plan to live in while build our house.

We level with wood under the tires, but of course that doesn't help to take any weight off of them. My trailer came with two stabilizer jacks, but I can't tell you where they are intended to be placed.

I love my old trailer, even with all her little quirks.

M

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
In ours, the leveling jacks were attached to the frame. Look underneath and you may find scissor jacks with a circular pipe-like section coming out. A special handle fits into it and turns the screw. Otherwise, Harbor Freight and a bottle jack plus solid concrete block and oak shims.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We managed to get the old girl blocked up and pretty level on concrete blocks. We found bolt holes underneath where it looks like jacks were originally so we put the blocks at those points. So far so good. Then my old dog ate my door so now working on replacing that with a cut down solid core door. It is always something it seems like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts