Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have purchased our 5 acres of land with a well and septic both not currently working. Septic needs new lid and side well needs new pump. We also bought an rv for us to stay in while we save and clear the land for our home. We had a test run overnight and discovered we have a few leaks. I am having doubts about taking the leap. Hubby is still gungho and says he wont go unless I want it. I see how happy he is out there and cannot deny him of his dream. We have 2 kids 15 and 8 and 2 dogs. Please tell me it will be worth it. I know I face struggles and things being hard but I want to know it will be worth all of it.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Girl hang in there...when the weather is nice, go outside in your lawn chair and soak up some fresh air. Look out at your land and envision what is to come. Think of all of the freedom you will have to do as you please (raise chickens in the front yard if you please). Think of the lessons that your children will learn living further from technology...You can do this! Get you some books and start reading... :)

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Might and might not be worth it. Will depend on how well all partners are into it. My wife doesn't get into homesteading and could care less what happens away from the t.v. So as far as the homesteading self reliant thing goes, I'm basically a one man show. If she would get into being more self reliant I would imagine things would go a lot more smoothly and efficiently around here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just curious - how big is the RV?

Part of my SHTF scenario would see us leaving this house and settling down a few acres. In order to keep costs to a minimum I was also thinking about putting an RV of the used travel trailer type on the land for a I hope a temporary home sweet home. I’m looking for 2 separate sleeping areas for the 3 of us which does not appear to be a popular design layout in a small trailer. I just can't see the 3 of us sharing sleeping space or not having a place to go shut the door to get away from the others. Another major problem I see is every trailer I look at has minimal storage space so we’ll need a second structure/shed/small trailer to store things we have that we just don’t want to part with until the house is built.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
R.H.,

My wife is the same as yours. She's a movie/tv buff and can't understand why I wanted to shoot every squirrel/rabbit that stole and ate all of my crops last year! :hobbyhors I'm working on her gradually. She's afraid of living out in the country and afraid cops may not get to us in time and doesn't understand why I want to get a dog that will be big enough to protect our place in case of emergencies. We're deaf but hard workers. I may be getting a job in Tulsa or OKC....I'm looking for cnc machining jobs in OK. Anyone hear of one let me know. I'm due to graduate in May 2009.

·
Voice of Reason
53,243 Posts
We have purchased our 5 acres of land with a well and septic both not currently working. Septic needs new lid and side well needs new pump. We also bought an rv for us to stay in while we save and clear the land for our home. We had a test run overnight and discovered we have a few leaks. I am having doubts about taking the leap. Hubby is still gungho and says he wont go unless I want it. I see how happy he is out there and cannot deny him of his dream. We have 2 kids 15 and 8 and 2 dogs. Please tell me it will be worth it. I know I face struggles and things being hard but I want to know it will be worth all of it.....
What sort of climate are you moving to? I'm guessing mild if you're considering doing it this time of year.

How do you intend to do your home? Build it yourself, or move a mobile home on the lot?

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
We lived in an RV for six months on our land, three of them without grid power, all of them without septic. Both of us had a blast. 32 ft., had to replace refrigerator, and got grid power when the summer temps hit 105. One big plus was how easy it was for one person to do the cooking. In a setup like this, everything is at your fingertips. When we finally moved into our manufactured home, we figured that the RV could have fit in the master bedroom and bathroom. That was another fun experience.

Life is all about having new experiences and making your own fun. Think that an RV is a burden and it will be. Think of it as a way to do something different and get off the consumer bandwagon, and it will be.

Got leaks in the roof? Buy a roll of construction plastic and roll it out over the roof with a hole for any vent pipe(s). Cut off the excess. When the weather gets better, fix the leaks. It ain't rocket science.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Two adults and two kids. We lived in a 42 foot travel trailer for five months. Started in January and moved out in May. We had a Baygen wind up radio and a 400 watt inverter. We hooked the inverter up to my truck's battery and watched movies occasionally. Was it worth it? It was for me. I live in a paid for home. This is especially important, to me, now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My DH and I lived in a 24 ft. travel trailer for a year on our land while we were building our house. We hooked up a small gas pump to a well and plumbed to the trailer with PVC pipe. We had propane and battery for power. The nites were full of stars and quiet and the days were busy. The only thing I did not like was dragging the laundry to the laundromat every week.
If you want to live on the land eventually, this will give you an opportunity to try it on for size.

·
Registered
386 Posts
All I can say is my DH and I lived in a pole building for a year while we built our dream home and actually enjoyed living in one room....now, can't say how it would be with kids...

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
You don't mention the size of the trailer, whether it has a slideout (makes it much more roomy), how long you plan to live in it, and whether your children want to do this. I suspect that if your 15yo is not for this, you will have major problems.

We lived in a trailer part time while we were building our house (from February until Thanksgiving as we were able to move in the weekend before Thanksgiving. Because we were in a company house and were only paying $50 rent, we kept the house until the end of October and were able to move all of our furniture and boxes into the basement, as we were building ourselves. We went home one to two nights a week to wash clothes and such. We had one child age 3, and I was pregnant and delivered in August. When we had my son, I didn't go home for about 2 weeks and stayed in the trailer.

We had a 29 foot trailer, and I would not want to use one that small with two children. It would have been nicer if we had a trailer like we have now, with a back bunkhouse and front bedroom, and a long slideout that makes for a large living area for a trailer.

Dawn

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've been doing this for 4 years now and it gets old after about 3. But it freezes here and water is just March-Nov. Luckily I have a yard hydrant close by and access to a hot shower.
I have no spouse or kids.
Simplify your septic system and look into the sawdust toilet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the input. The rv is 35 feet with a master bedroom with a table bed and couch bed. Our land is in northern N Carolina. We have no set date as to how long we will be in the rv. As soon as we finish building I guess. My 15 yo son is ready for the leap as well and my 8 yo daughter who loves it out there. I love the idea of it but know things can go wrong. We have been married for 21 years so we know each other pretty well. We have been through almost everything a couple can go through and we stuck together. He has talked about homesteading since we first met. I am ready for a change I love gardening and raising our own veggies and to have more room for that makes me ready. We only let the kids pick items for Christmas that could be used on the land. Both got night visions,paintball and tools. He wants to build our own home but start with a barn/workshop. He has built decks and major forts for the kids. He just is not sure about how to build a roof.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
There seems to be an explosion of companies which build small utility buildings delivered to site. I don't have a link, but they come in a variety of sizes. Perhaps one can be used as a bedroom area for the kids, then for a storage building afterwards.

I have seen these in a number of places where I wondered how in the world did they get them back there. My sister and BIL ordered one locally. Was delivered on a flat-bed trailer. Guy put two wheel dollies at one end and then a self-powered lifter, mover at the other. Simply manuvered it into place. Pretty neat to watch.

At the sales outlet inquire about a repossessed one.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
We lived in a 35ft travel trailer with 2 teenage boys both 6'4 ,2 dogs,1 cat for almost a year. It was an adventure. Lots of good memories. Yes things go wrong but that makes for the adventure part. People used to raise large families in 1 room shacks.With a travel trailer its not that hard. In warmer weather my sons set their tents up and slept outside. I did alot of my cooking outside. No bad at all. Although teenagers can be no fun at times regardless of where you live.

·
Registered
366 Posts
We bought our land in Oct. Sold our house in Nov. Put a 30ft travel trailer with a super slide out out here in Nov. for the first week I had to learn how to adapt. After that I am fine except when it is really windy. I am scared to death of wind and so when we get gusts of 40 mph I am shakin in my shoes. We have it strapped down but I am still terrified when the wind comes. If it wasnt for the wind I would be totally content. Its just me and DH but his daughter age 14 is here a lot. I have electric, water, and septic and a wonderful view. I cant wait until it is warm and I can be outside more.
Susie

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Have heard about some folks who first built (or had built) a two-car garage with a small efficiency kitchen and commode/sink/shower stall. Lived in it while house was being built. Could probably get by with a shower stall and a sawdust toilet. They still make washtubs for baths, but there are other facilities, such as assess to a gym just for the shower facilities.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I used a 28' for 3 yrs, 9 mo at a time. I had electric run into the barn, and a meter and tap put on the county water line. I wasn't sure where I would put my home so I just got them in so I could enjoy the place with some comfort. I took advantage of a concrete pad from an old grain bin and made it my patio. I bought a large screen tent/dining fly so I could be outside as much as possible. I ran 150' of garden hose and 100' of extention cords to the rv. I purchased an old portapotty for $50, and dug a hole under it. Greywater went off to the side via some cheap black plastic pipe. Washer and big fridge in the barn, and a clothes line. Bingo, I was in business. I carried my drinking water from the tap, cause garden hose made it taste funny. Later I ran black pipe across the ground to the pit under the potty and used the toliet in the rv.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
another very timely thread. we are currently thinking of doing the same thing. we will be building come spring, but hubby's job is 40 miles from our current house. our land is only 3 miles from the job. our current house is also getting uncomfortable b/c its for sale and having ppl drive thru looking around is terribly stressful to me.

we've been looking on craigslist, but most are a few thousand and i'm not sure if that's a good deal or what...we could use that money for the house. but it would get us moved away from here and easier for us to work on our place.

any more things those of you with experience can share, i hope you do! i'm a bit scared but also excited to be on our place. i only worry that it'll be a longer stay than i'm ready for. we have a nice barn so i am also thinking we can spread out by sleeping there, or use a tent when its nice out.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts