Ruth, you jinxed me..lol

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dosthouhavemilk, Apr 1, 2006.

1. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I spent my second night in a row sitting up with Snickers waiting for her to kid.
    I gave up around 1AM with her in the early stages of labor. I had to be awake at 5AM to go milk a herd of cows. Dad called at 4:45AM saying she had a couple kids. The first one was up and nursing and at first he thought the second was dead but it wasn't.
    She turned a year old around 4PM yesterday. She has a buck and a doe. She is very attentative to the doe (first born) and isn't taking to the buck as quickly. She should though. Both have nursed and she nickers at both when they cry.
    [​IMG]
    This is Snickers with her doe baby. Snickers is 1/4 Boer, 1/4 Nubian, 1/8 LaMancha/Alpine, 1/8 Saanen and 1/4 unsure (most likely Alpine/Togg). The kids are out of our Boer buck.
    [​IMG]
    The buck is to the left there. The doe has three red spots on her and the buck just has the red head with the facial blaze.
    Finally some somewhat traditional kids out of our Boer. He has one other traditional buck out of 8 kids so far.

Just for kicks;
    [​IMG]

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

They are SO CUTE CONGRATS! Are you keeping either of them? Good Luck. Bye.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Not my fault!!!!!

They are adorable by the way.

Ruth

4. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

The doeling is staying and the buck will most likely end up wethered. I think he would make a decent commercial herdsire because of the dams line. The dam is as tall as her mother at a year old. Snickers didn't touch grain until she was weaned around 7 months old. Snicker's dam raises our fastest growing kids normally. He just has maternals big time....but with all that cross breeding I doubt I'll find a buyer, so he'll most likely be wethered and sold for meat with the other wethers at the end of the year.

[​IMG]
    Here he is cleaned off a bit more.
    Snickers took to him wonderfully. I kenw she would but I always worry about first timers.

Here's a lighter picture of the day old LaBoer with the three week old jersey bull calf;
    [​IMG]