Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Québec. I was given a solid but very rusty 30-foot chain that stayed a few years in a tub with water in it. Has anyone ever tried removing rust by making a HOT wood fire and putting the object in the center ? I loosened up a vise once by doing that. But for flaky rust, I dunno. Thanks for your time. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
41,725 Posts
Greetings from Québec. I was given a solid but very rusty 30-foot chain that stayed a few years in a tub with water in it. Has anyone ever tried removing rust by making a HOT wood fire and putting the object in the center ? I loosened up a vise once by doing that. But for flaky rust, I dunno. Thanks for your time. Stay safe.
Drag it up and down a gravel road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yo ! I read about that somewhere. Maybe on a logging road that's not being used right now. What held me back is wether only the outside will be polished........ Another idea I had was to find a cement mixer and just have it turn in gravel. Like when I tumble-polish stones. If worse comes to worse, I'll resort to acid, but would prefer avoiding it. Thanks again !

·
STILL not Alice
20,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Rust only goes so deep into steel. It actually protects the inside layers from rusting. (The problem comes with thin metal when the rust can go all the way thru, or rust from both sides meets in the middle.
You can give a quick wire brushing to the chain (or use the dragging trick) to rewove the flaky stuff, .then slop on or soak it in stuff like Rust Mort that chemically reverses the oxidation process and gives almost permanent protection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnks. I will probably do something like dragging and using vinegar and a steel brush, because of the prohibitive cost of Rust Mort.

·
Registered
517 Posts
One old trick is to boil the parts in water to cover the part..
This will turn most of the rust to patina..

I would not burn the chain directly in the fire as you could loose heat treat hardness that way and soften the metal..

Reactions: doc-

·
Registered
846 Posts
Unless there is a specific reason you need it clean, why bother? I agree if it is real bad, drag it just to knock the junk off. I keep mine in a cheap bucket in the bed of my truck. That way it doesn’t beat the bed to death, and if I want to put it in a nicer vehicle, like my wife’s Suburban, it doesn’t make a mess because it’s in a big bucket.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I live ten miles from a paved road. By the time I got to the pavement, it would be shiny as new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One old trick is to boil the parts in water to cover the part..
This will turn most of the rust to patina..

I would not burn the chain directly in the fire as you could loose heat treat hardness that way and soften the metal..
It's nice to hear from a duct tape artist once in a blue moon.... dying breed. It's welded chain, and it only has an 18 foot vintage lifeboat's 20 lb anchor to weigh down. Will try water first. Merci!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another idea I had was to find a cement mixer and just have it turn in gravel.
We cleaned up a lot of hardware on the farm using this method. We used wet sand. Washed off the sand and then dunked the parts in oil to keep them from flash rusting.

The best part is you can dump all the hardware in and let the mixer work while you do something else.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
I hope that after you shine it up you will give it a good inspection. After that long of a soak, I would be kinda suspicious about hooking it up to lift a piano up to the third floor. Or a log to my new Kubota. At least let your wife do the pulling while .......wait....see how much insurance you have on the tractor. :)

How to Inspect an Alloy Chain Sling to OSHA and ASME Standards | L-3 - YouTube

geo

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
None of my chains have any rust on them (never painted them) because I use them all the time for pulling logs out of our creek, or picking up heavy items with my loader,

I too, think that dragging it down a gravel road will get the desired effect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We cleaned up a lot of hardware on the farm using this method. We used wet sand. Washed off the sand and then dunked the parts in oil to keep them from flash rusting.

The best part is you can dump all the hardware in and let the mixer work while you do something else.
Thank you. You should have written me 40 yrs ago when I was more able-bodied.......but nevertheless, I WILL look around for an old mixer. There are MANY MANY things that would benefit from this type of tratment, especially in the forge I don't use much anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
None of my chains have any rust on them (never painted them) because I use them all the time for pulling logs out of our creek, or picking up heavy items with my loader,

I too, think that dragging it down a gravel road will get the desired effect.
Same here, except when I salvaged a vintage aluminium lifeboat for a friend's museum last fall, next to it in the field was a bucket with a 20 lb modern fishing anchor and this chain, must have been sitting there 10 yrs since owner passed. I kept that.

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Posted 5/7/21 2:40 AM CDST

When I was given a surface rusted log chain that left my hands orange I soaked itt in burnt motor oil for a few days and wiped it down with kerosene before storing it in the truck toolbox.

I was given that 35 foot chain 40 years ago and it's still dark but not dirty to handle and is a good pull chain.

A friend tried drag polishing a rusted chain once and it snagged on the side of the road as it snake dragged behind his truck and bent the hitch and bumper at about 30 mph and deep dinged some of the links.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I don't have much rust on my logging chain. I leave it in the sun to dry after using it then store it in a 50 caliber ammo can. The can seals out moisture and has a handy handle on top when I want to move it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts