Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Semi long story

We have had every nuisance trespasser possible and in great quantity. I'm not talking about the barn painter or the lightning rod salesman who seem to have to come for 3 separate "no thanks" each season. I'm talking about rowdy, drunk, littering teen menaces.

We have had a storage building up the road vandalized and then backed into since they couldn't get in. Damaged the doors and equipment behind it. Have had a water run off ditch up the road filled with every kind of trash imaginable. (that I attribute to the townies who think we run a dump) We find beer bottles and cans decorating our road, ditches and fields so much it looks like we farm recyclables.

Our favorite is when teens come out and run donuts in our almost ripe soy or recently ran ditches through freshly sprouted wheat. We are small operators and aside from being expensive losses it is disrespectful. Problem is that because of slowly rolling hills we cannot see all the ground all the time.

We know it is mostly teens because back road driving while drinking is very common around here. It's the weekend sport and they look for low traffic roads to park and party. It's always late and random days so there is no way to patrol.

Last night the odds changed.

It was the first 50 degree night in weeks. A nice change from the bitter cold. It was Friday night and I could feel the teen excitement in my bones. It was just too perfect and rare an occasion. I just had a feeling.

I was right.

Due to dumb luck we had an unusually late night run to town. As we almost reached our drive we turned a corner that just so happens to be a low spot with a perfect and only view of the rest of the family ground over 3/4 a mile away.

Then I saw it.

The tell tale sign.......slow moving headlights. People rage down our gravel road like nascar. Slow moving is never a good thing. We turned off our brights and blazed on down the road. Right as we crested the last hill we cut the lights and there was complete darkness. Had it been the neighbors behind our ground we would have seen tail lights going away.

They were caught.

I hollered to my DH to gun it. He flipped on the brights as we skidded around the final corner like the dukes of hazard. Meanwhile the truck backed away from our ditch, put on it's lights and tried to drive past us. We skidded to a halt a few feet from their bumper as to block their exit.

Then I lunged out of the vehicle.

I'm sure a frizzy haired, hugely pregnant, angrily panting lady must have been a sight on a back road late in the night :) For anyone to memorize where the low spot was in our ground and where to cross the deep ditch into PLANTED CROPS takes careful observation or having used it before.

I very quickly introduced myself. I was super careful to use polite words because I wasn't trying to rough up the wrong people. I know that when I am mad, no matter how polite I try to be I can be intimidating. (had a man pull mace on me at a store after I set him straight for mouthing off at me for no reason) I was shaking from adrenaline HOT from finally finding someone out of place.......on our place.

Inside the truck were three smoking teens, one girl and two boys. According to the boy he had to stop to pee. I emphatically explained that IF they were passing through respectfully we had no beef with them. I also told them that due to the damages this was the WRONG road to drive slow or stop on. Our families ground is flanked on both sides for a mile. Stopping is absolutely OFF LIMITS.

I think I may have scared them. I know I didn't use obscenities or threats. I just mentioned that I was glad they were just passing through. I mentioned that we patrol the road with a shotgun and was certainly glad we didn't accidentally have a miscommunication. :) I told them that anyone we see on the property, driving in our crops would have hell to pay.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall at their school on Monday. I'm sure that their bunch won't be back. For the rest I have something so much more fun in store. I learned to drive with lights off in pitch black. Just have to stick my head out the window and watch the white gravel go by. I'm thinking that a portable air horn next to the driver door after a stealthy drive up should do the trick.

I can't wait for spring and backroading season to begin!!

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Good for you!!
If you can get fish nets and lay them on the ground (on your property of course) it does a magnificent job of binding tires. I've even heard that police are starting to lay nets across the road to stop a car chase. Unlike the tire-piercing strips, it does no damage to the car but stops it dead. I bet it takes HOURS to cut away. <insert maniacal glee, hand-rubbing smiley>

·
Registered
310 Posts
My uncle in Ky has trouble with teenagers tearing up the woods around his house with 4 wheelers. These kids don't even live near by, they just come out to the boonies to tear up jack. Well, he got tired of it and laid down some boards with nails in them on the paths they were using. Then he sprinkled some leaves over them. Only had them twice after that. Both times he saw them walking their 4 wheelers back to the road!

If its your land, I would dig a small trench at the entrance to the field. Make sure that whoever was going to drive over that area was intending to go into the field. Make it only as deep as a 2x4 and drive some long nails into it. Lay it in the trench. Just make sure you get out of your vehicle and pull up the board before you drive into the field! I would also post the land, but I'm sure you've already done that!

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
HL, I always enjoy your posts and your stories. This was a good one, but I agree with Edayna! Be careful! Please! (But I'm sure that trio won't be back - LOL!)

NeHi

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Congratulations!
Hope you got the license plate, too!
I would have made a point of getting the license plate number and made sure that they saw me do it. Then I would have gone by/talked to the sheriff's office and filed a complaint just in case something else should happen.

·
CF, Classroom & Books Mod
9,934 Posts
Wish I could be a fly on the wall at their school on Monday. I'm sure that their bunch won't be back.
Or, you've just made yourself a challenge and a target.

Please be careful. Not all teenagers who hang out on back roads, doing "gravel runs" as they're called here, are so easily intimidated, especially when confronted in front of a group of their rowdy, hormone-driven and possibly drunken (or high) friends.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or, you've just made yourself a challenge and a target.

Please be careful. Not all teenagers who hang out on back roads, doing "gravel runs" as they're called here, are so easily intimidated, especially when confronted in front of a group of their rowdy, hormone-driven and possibly drunken (or high) friends.
I fully understand thecaution thing many of you have mentioned. I have seen my share of close calls due to brazen behavior.

For the most part these kids are a skiddish bunch. Hormones and cool points do not offset the fear of being caught, arrested for drunk dring and having a call to the parents.

The majority are just ill mannered, bored and looking for small town excitement.

As for the rest.....they are much too outwitted and out of their league. Although I would sincerely hate to see it escalate I am prepared to take it as far as neccessary to protect our land and our rights. Shouldn't have to do that though, which is why I am so upset.

In time they will realize that mischief here does not amount to fun and that there are easier pickins elsewhere. It's just a matter of how much pain they can handle before crying uncle. I am dead serious and dead tired of people with no repsect causing us dmages. If they underestimate that it is their mistake.

Don't mean to be confrontational to anyone on here. I'm just that fanatically obsessed about ridding ourselves of this menace. I don't mind the challenege personally. I won't be pregnant forever. Some cool summer nights stalking prey in cammo after dark with local boys from up the road would amuse me.

Devising ways to legally yet very STRONGLY suggest a stop to the trouble would amuse me even more so. We aren't the only victims on the road, plenty of us need weekend amusement too.

Like I said, can't wait for backroading season to begin.:hobbyhors

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wanted to add a sidenote since online communication can get very mixed up.

For me, this is all a festive type amusement.

I don't blame these kids for liking the starry skys and quiet evenings. I just have a problem with the mass littering and vandlism. Just quiet parking never really bothered me, trouble is they just can't behave.

My thoughts had included quiet, mellow sipping of beers amongst friends in the middle of a field in complete darkness. Basically hunting minus guns, most guns anyway.

A few laughs, a barbecue going up at the house......headlights flash at the road end and everyone stops quiet and lunges to hide.......

Follow up of a camera and a herd of corn fed farmboys with very serious looking faces. A call to the sherrif, charges pressed, parents called.....

I picture a surpirse of several bright maglights aimed at the car and one very polite, yet obvious throat clearing to introduce ourselves.

Just like snipe hunting with pals in high school. Built in excitement for what could otherwise be boring rural nights, just like the teens but with way more creativity.:icecream:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts