Homesteading Forum banner

Rustic Furniture

6K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  CarkQuinn 
#1 · (Edited)
I was gonna wait but we get so busy I figured we better do it now. So here's the furniture:
Jonestead Rustic. Affordable benches, beds, tables, fun boxes. We get the wood (mixed species) from a local sawmill, Christian Jones cuts and shapes it, I do the sanding to get the splinters under control. He's a master carpenter who loves creating things.

We realize most of you don't live nearby, just thought we'd put this up anyway. Maybe some of you will get ideas from this and do it where you live? (Having trouble with the upload formatting so I apologize for multiple runaway pics).
Furniture Bench Outdoor bench Outdoor furniture Wood
Furniture Chair Table Grass Folding chair
Dog Canidae Dog breed Furniture Bench

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Nice.
Are you generating local interest for your stuff?
"As often happens, word of mouth seems to be the best marketing tool, hence we're guarded. "

word of mouth is great

I sell/make knives and I sit at the hwy with a table during the summer

I have become 'that knife guy'

last week I was in the next town grocery store and a fella came up and said "you're that knife guy"

after a chat, we went outside and he bought one I had just finished that morning

also last winter I saw a vehicle stuck on a sideroad

I stopped and pulled him out

as I was getting ready to leave he said "you're that knife guy?"

#10 ·
I'm not much on the rustic look personally. I tend towards nice clean lines..That's a matter of taste I suppose, but use good construction techniques and you'll have and keep customers for good.
So much of the store bought stuff uses cheap construction techniques for shipping and to keep the cost down for them and to customers to some extent.
Nothing says repeat customers like good quality construction that doesn't fall apart the first time the kids jump on it.
Just a suggestion to make your product stand out and above others might be wedge locked peg/pin construction instead of screws and nails. It takes a little longer, but it really catches the eye and if done right it'll last a long time.
Some information from timber framing construction guys.. https://rainfordrestorations.com/2014/01/04/treenails-trunnels-pins-and-pegs/
If I was into the rustic look I'd probably use pins and pegs.. Heck, I already use a lot of dowel construction in furniture making. It's strong and looks great as well.

Nice work! I hope you get many many happy customers..

#13 · (Edited)
I really like this kind of furniture, but I think bad weather conditions can quickly destroy it. Therefore, you should install a pergola to protect it from the rain. Well, I think garden furniture can really become a work of art if real professionals create it. Wooden garden benches are extremely popular because, if they are durable, they allow you to create a comfortable sitting area in any backyard, they fit the interior of the garden perfectly, as well as both brick and wooden country houses. I also decided to order wooden garden furniture from www.gardenfurniture.co.uk, because I liked the company's products and prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.