Rust

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by famer_manda, Aug 24, 2006.

1. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

Another question I had was about rust. They have two barns. The one barn looks like it mostly is wood. So no problem there but the other barn looks like it housed sheep. It has these rusty rectangle shaped things. I dont know how to describe them. But it was tubing. Maybe they put them there for shaving their "fur" off? I might look for a picture of them. Anyways they are rusty. Could I grind the rust off, paint it and be able to use them if i ever figured out how to use them? Does anyone know what I am talking about? lol.

The barn itself has some rust on the ceiling. (where the nails are) It looks to be made of a steel for the most part. The otherside is all trashed but once cleaned up it would be cow stalls.

This place has a lot of potential with a good pitch fork and dumpster

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sheep have fur??

Any chance, since they're in a different building that your rusty tubular rectangles are actually farrowing crates for hogs?

3. famer_manda

LOL..

I couldn't think of what it was called ROFL.. Wool i meant ROFL

There was probably about 10 of these in a row.2 foot wide by 4 feet long and stood about 3 foot off the ground. They were definately looking like something you would have an animal restrained in. Each one was only a few inches apart. On the door it said something about bacteria passing. I forget the words. But is there an animal that you wouldn't want transferrance? Is that pigs? I think I remmeber someone telling me their husband worked in a "pig factory" and they could not own any poultry or anything at home because of disease transferring risks.

Ahh.. I have so much to learn about farming yet. I sure wish my parents would have been farmers and so much more of htis would be common knowledge to me.

4. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Sounds like stanchions. The animals would go in there and get some grain while they were milked.

That's my guess!

Kathie

5. famer_manda

Thats possible.. the other side of the barn was cow stalls.

Would these be something worth grinding the rust off or something just to scrap...(eeh I ask like i own them already but i have a feeling we will and i am just planning ahead)

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Sounds like a hog containment facility. Those are farrowing crates and the "cow stalls" are pens for raising hogs.

Most containment facilities are very careful about introducing disease into their closed system.

7. famer_manda

its a previous amish farm. So they might have "created" their own kind of equipment. I guess I can ask some of the neighbors as to what used to be raised there. i know they had cows and horses. But they may have had pigs as well.

8. silvergirl

silvergirl Well-Known Member

Yes, you can grind the rust off if it has not pitted the metal too deeply or eaten through it completely. A wire brush on a hand held drill would work (remember to wear eye protection and a mask over your nose/mouth for breathing protection). You can buy products to coat the metal and protect it from further rust and wear - see your local hardware store. Hubby studied blacksmithing and knows some method of electrolysing the rust off of smaller metal items or structures by immersing them in water and using a battery charger to run a regulated current through the water - I don't know the details but it sounds like these items are too large to do that with anyway...
    Silvergirl

9. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

There are small lift tables for sheep but no crates as you describe and you'd only need one. Sheep are shorn sitting on thier rears not in cages. I think Bare has it 100% correct those are farrowing crates. Interesting point if you were thinking about keeping sheep on past hog ground you may have a copper problem as hog manure is very high in copper which will make the grass high in it too. Sheep can not tolerate excessive copper.

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, grinding's too much like work.

Por-15 it all. :goodjob

http://www.por15.com/

No, I don't sell it, I just use a lot of it!

Pony!

11. famer_manda

No i actually dont want sheep. The realtor just thought they were for sheep. I am getting cows and pigs actually.