Rust protection for ground contact tools - shovels etc.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Dec 16, 2005.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Living here in the great pacific north wet I find myself working outside in the rain quite a bit, or at least working with wet ground. While I try to take care of my tools - shovels, rakes, hoes etc. they inevitably rust at one point or another.

I just finished a big job that lasted a month, and most of my tools have rust on them again. Some are just light surface rust, others are a bit deeper. I am going to take the grinder w/ wire brush to them this weekend and knock the rust off so I can put them away in the shed for the winter.

What do you coat your ground contact tools with (if anything) to help protect from rust?

Thinking through what I have on the shelf... 30w motor oil, wd40, penetrating oil, axle grease, ATF... or something else more suitable??

Also, a number of these tools have wood handles that are not in that great of shape (when I buy a new one I usually get the fiberglass handles). Is there something I can put on the old wood handles to maybe make them last another year or so? I've got some boiled linseed oil left over from a deck job awhile back. Also have some Thompson's deck treatment left over. Either of these work?

Thanks
    Wayne

2. dave85

dave85 dave85

oil will be the best for the handles. the best thing for the metal parts is 1/2 diesel and 1/2 used motor oil. I actually used to keep a 5 gallon bucket 2/3 full, let them stay in a couple of nights, then set out to dry. of course, if you,re using 'em every day, then the week ends is their "bath".

I don't know if this proper or not to ask, but what part of Western WA are you?
    i'm interested in people in Whidbey Island

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I spray my trucks and cars with motor oil. the underside and in the frame holes, if road splash hits it I oil it.
    clean new cheap motor oil, a quart goes a long way in a mist.

maybe just heep an oil-moist rag in the toolbox to wipe them off when your done?

4. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Somewhere I read to keep a bucket of sand soaked with used motor oil. Stick blade of the shovel or rake into it when you are done.

5. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Hey Wayne,

I thought things were suppose to be rusty out here?! lol

For the rakes, shovels, and whatnots...we spray them with WD40 for the winter. I know my older relatives have always done this, and it seems to work well.

We don't do anything to the handles, but we replace a lot of them too.

6. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

I don't know if you have black walnuts in Wash. or not, but if you do, you can boil the hulls and soak the metal in the boiling mixture for about 30 min. and it will put a rustproof finish into the pores of the metal. It may wear off eventually, but will last much longer than the original finish.

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

true on the walnut hull treatment. traps are done that way to and to help with scent.

i was gonna recommend the sand/oil/bucket treatment but i am too late, lol.

8. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

a year and a half ago, I didn't have anything handy when I was fall cleaning & storing. I ended up wiping them with vegetable oil from my kitchen.

They felt a bit "tacky" in the spring, a thicker layer than I'm used to, but other than that, it did the trick.

So I'd say whatever's within hand's reach. (well, nuthin' too expensive. I don't expect you'll find me greasin' my tools with extra-virgin olive oil anytime soon...)

9. omnicat

Cool on the walnut hull treatment. I hope I remember that come next fall. Don't have any on my property, but they're all around, and people are usually happy if I offer to take 'em away...

10. omnicat

wait - just so I understand - do you *boil* the tools in the mixture for 30 minute? Or boil it, and then *soak* (or steep) for 30 minutes?

11. jeffreyc256

jeffreyc256 Well-Known Member

cheap spray paint before returning to storage. If it is a vintage tool and you dont like the paint you can coat it with parafin.

12. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I have a drum full of sand saturated with old cylinder oil that I use to clean and oil my shovel and tool blades. Works great. I use linseed oil on the handles to help give them some extra life. Even just sitting around in the shop or garage the metal can rust and the wood can dry out.

13. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

As MELOC said, it is used for "curing" steel traps around here. They can sat in the water all winter without rusting. For that, we always boiled them in an old cast iron wash pot with a fire under it in the back yard.

You can try different ways to find the easiest way to get the job done.

14. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

tomorrow is 22 years since my friend and neighbor paul and his wife wanda were killed by a drunk driver chased by police. it is he who taught me about the walnut hull boil...and some other country living stuff.

we miss you paul and wanda.