rust on top of van

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by motdaugrnds, Aug 30, 2006.

1. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

I have a 1988 van that is rusting away on the top. I cannot afford a different automobile; thus, I need to find a way to repair this one. Can anyone give me advice on how to do this without taking it to a professional?

2. Pizza Guy

Pizza Guy Well-Known Member

Central California between Fresno & Bakersfield
    If cosmetics doesn't concern you, check this product out: http://www.por15.com/

If you want it to look good go to a Maaco and get it fixed there for a reasonable cost (when compared to regular insurance type paint and bodyshops.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a 1984 van(not in use now, but still have it) that had alot of surface rust(well the whole top looked like rust)----pitted but not rusted through on the top. I went to Wal*Marts and bought a wire brush(one about a foot or so long--wooden handle) then went to the automotive paint section and bought several cans of "Rust Converter" and some GOOD Primer and some auto paint-----all in spray cans. I came home and I went across the top with the wire brush to knock loose any thing that was about loose-----blowed the top off and followed ""DIRECTIONS"" on the rust converter-----------which were like-----spray a good coat on--------let dry for 24 hours, without getting wet or damp-----then I sprayed the primer on----like 2 coats and painted it good--------not skimping on paint-----it takes a good coat or coats of paint to protect the converter and primer. It has been 5 years and the top still looks good with only a small amount of rust trying to come back through. It took about $60 for supplies and a few hours total. If you Will Follow the directiond to a T on the rust converter it will work GOOD. Good Luck!! Randy

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

There are several brands of the rust treatment that Fire-Man mentioned. Some are spray and some are brush-on. Ospho is one brand of brush-on. They all create a chemical reaction with the rust and turn it into a primer. The brush-on may be a little quicker and cheaper, and since it's on top of a van it's not going to be very noticeable anyway. Then use several coats of primer and paint as Fire-Man suggested, and it should be fine for several years. Do NOT paint without treating the rust first, though.

5. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

Many thanks fellows. That is exactly what I will do.

6. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

WE also use OSPHO great stuff for all rusty things, ROOFING. Stops Rust. Turns black then wire brush and paint, check back the next year and hit anything you might have missed. Caution this is an acid, follow all directions and keep locked up.

7. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

wire brush and a gallon of tremclad flat black, oh ya and a foam brush. Cost ya 20 bukks. Wire bush the roof, paint on tremclad and presto, no more rust trouble.