Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old green Stanley metal thermos, and it is rusting on the bottom (which appears to be chrome). The inside of the thermos is fine.

How do I stop it from rusting further? Is there something I can coat the bottom of it with, like Rustoleum, or some kind of a plastic/rubber cup that fits the bottom? I set it on the counter and there is usually a little ring of rust left when I pick it up, or flakes of rust if the counter is dry.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
I dont know how well it would work on a thermos, but there are rust converter products that are supposed to stop rust cold in its tracks. Remember a friend up north got some and treated his Toyota. Made rust areas turn black and I guess it worked at least to some extent.

It could be time for you to hunt up a 100% stainless steel thermos, not the ones with the plastic trim. These last forever. Search around on ebay. Probably cheaper than a can of that rust converter.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only plastic on this thermos (it's actually an Aladdin Stanley) is the handle on the side, the pour-through inner cap, and the lining of the outer metal cap.

Even the rest of the metal on the outside is fine. It is just rusting on the very bottom where you rest it on the counter. Weird.

·
Super Moderator
13,438 Posts
I polished the bottom of mine and painted it with rustoleum.

·
Registered
592 Posts
clean and dry it thoroughly...
and then coat it with either clear nail polish or any clear sealer... it should stop the rust...

i use clear nail polish on everything that i dont want to leave a mark on something... including the inside of copper rings and bracelets... works great.. just need to touch it up once in an while...

lynn in texas

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I think part of the problem was that it sometimes didn't get dried thoroughly, and the bottom is where all the information is stamped into the metal.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HermitJohn said:
I dont know how well it would work on a thermos, but there are rust converter products that are supposed to stop rust I'm not sure but I think the possible product is called OSFO or something like that. It is used in the Marine industry to chemically prevent/stop rust. It will change the color of the steel aswell as protect it. Not a paint or coating but actually changes the steel.
As far as a thermos, clean it up with steelwool then apply liquid neoprene to it, that will seal it from the weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts