·
Registered
31,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Died today

·
Saltine American
6,605 Posts
His wife announced his death on his show about 20 minutes ago.

RIP

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
I've been listening to our local station that had has his show on daily. Lots of out pouring of admiration from the callers. He will be missed.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Gals it is over for him. Not a fan, but don't like suffering.

For good and bad he changed the media world.

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
13,866 Posts
I don't find most comedians very funny, but Rush made me burst out laughing many times. He would slip it in when you weren't expecting it.

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
It took me a long time to get Rush. As a kid, and a young adult, I thought he was a pompous ass and nothing more. It was only in the last 10 years or so that I realized that was part of his schtick and that he was actually a humble, thoughtful, compassionate person.

I’d originally dismissed him as a shameless partisan, but, in recent years, he developed a very overt disdain for the establishment component of the party he generally aligned with. His positions during this last administration really illuminated the nuance in his political thinking.

While I continued to disagree with him on a lot of issues, I came to respect him and could finally tolerate and even enjoy his show. I could find it in almost every radio market and will miss it during my work travel. He was a rare master of his craft.

·
Registered
31,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"I get paid to keep you afraid."
I had to fix that.

"I get paid to keep you informed"

As Time magazine pointed out, an organized Cabal is forming opinions and manipulating the narrative. Not everyone buys what the Cabal is selling

Reactions: marsharini

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I believe he may have coined such phrases as "the drive by media" and the "low information voter."

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I think it’s appalling that people are speaking so badly about him when he just died. Karma is real.
They have to.

For the last 20 years, the drive-by media has spent so much effort convincing the low-information voters that Limbaugh was a vile, hateful racist. In the days after his death, stories are bound to come out about the great things that Limbaugh did, and they need to counter that in order to avoid their sycophants realizing that they were lied to.

The man’s legacy is not too high a price to sacrifice for their credibility. They need us to believe them when they tell us what horrible human beings Glenn Beck and Tucker Carlson are, after all.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am not a big fan of rush because I found his rhetoric very divisive, to me his insults were too personal and not necessary, for the reasons below among many more I'm happy he is off the airwaves, I think with his platform he could have done more in a positive way to make his points, I use to hear him talking hate towards those down and out, drug users, not unlike himself, seemed rather hypocritical, to me he eroded civility and it's not coming back because it's been "normalized"

"In 2003, Limbaugh admitted an addiction to painkillers and went into rehab. Authorities opened an investigation into alleged “doctor shopping,” saying he received up to 2,000 pills from four doctors over six months.

"He was frequently accused of bigotry and blatant racism for such antics as playing the song “Barack the Magic *****” on his show. The lyrics, set to the tune of “Puff, the Magic Dragon,” describe Obama as someone who “makes guilty whites feel good” and is “black, but not authentically.”

"When a woman accused Duke University lacrosse players of rape, he derided her as a “ho,” and when a Georgetown University law student supported expanded contraceptive coverage, he dismissed her as a “****.” When Barack Obama was elected president in 2008, Limbaugh said flatly: “I hope he fails.”

"When actor Michael J. Fox, suffering from Parkinson’s disease, appeared in a Democratic campaign commercial, Limbaugh mocked his tremors. When a Washington advocate for the homeless killed himself, he cracked jokes. As the AIDS epidemic raged in the 1980s, he made the dying a punchline. He called 12-year-old Chelsea Clinton a dog."

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Using the word "hate" in the post above is an example of the current trend of labeling something you disagree with rather than allowing an opposing viewpoint.
I am not Rush's apologist, however I will say the descriptives you gave above and your conclusions are your opinion and nothing more. The examples you gave deserve more than a vague ie "Georgetown University Student supported expanded contraceptive coverage" but whatever.
I saw them as something other that hate and divisive; I could give you likely a hundred examples of such hate each day from the main stream media. It just depends on what you choose as your outrage.
BTW, his longtime producer Bo Snerdly might differ with you on his "racism" and "bigotry".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts