Rural lifestyles being eroded away - Attn! Jefferson County WA

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cast iron, Nov 19, 2006.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I just received this email notice from our local gun group. I post this not just as an fyi for potential Jefferson County residents who may be on this board, but more so as an example of how the rural lifestyle is constantly under threat.

I know there have been many threads on here about suburbanites and cityites encroaching with their beliefs on the rural communities. This is just another example of that. Rural lifestyles are not disbanded with one feel swoop action, but rather with one seemingly small, seemingly harmless action at a time. Very much a "death by a thousand cuts" scenario.

In this specific example the issue is the government "allowing" people to shoot on their own property, but you can replace this issue with any of the following and have the same situation:

1. Non-running vehicles on property
    2. Smoke from woodstoves and outdoor burning
    3. No pavement on roads
    4. Noisy livestock
    5. Smelly livestock
    6. Unsightly yards, outbuildings etc
    7. Noisy farm/homestead equipment
    8. Insert your favorite typical rural behavior/situation here... (the list is long)

If we are to preserve the rural lifestyles we must be willing to fight for it. Sometimes you can run away to a better area/situation, but at some point you may very well have to fight for your desired lifestyle. Once they get that first cut in, it is very difficult to stop the erosion once it has started.

2. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

'I know there have been many threads on here about suburbanites and cityites encroaching with their beliefs on the rural communities."

Well, I thought I would give an anecdotal story of a rural community
    encroaching their beliefs on a city slicker ;-) I spent the last year on
    a rural farm in MN (8 miles north of a town of 1500). They were very
    nice people and all, and I miss them terribly (in fact, still thinking of
    moving back ;-) but I couldn't believe how hung up everyone was on
    the appearance of their yard! I was constantly getting harmless grief
    about how tall the weeds were in our yard, and when were we going to
    cut down all the burdock. I guess I've always been accused of being
    "white trash" and maybe so, but it just seems rediculus to be so concerned
    about such things when your nearest neigbor is one mile away. Oh well,
    I guess I was more "countrified" than those country folks...
    james

3. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Wayne,
    I am near you and have seen this in action as I am a Washignotn native. Country girl all the way. Times have changed. I REALLY dont see a need for this out there other than maybe in city limits. I wish I was closer I would attend. I think instead of limiting shooting they should limit the idiots that don't know how to shoot responsibly.
    Its a shame!

4. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

pcwerk when i first moved to my place i did not have any grass eating critters for 6 months and just let all the grass grow for future fodder and i had neighbors ask me if they could cut my grass for free on more than one occasion also.

5. mikellmikell

mikellmikell Well-Known Member

We had people going to build across the road from us and stopped in to introduce themselves. They said they went by at night and we didn't have any yardlight on and it was real spooky!! I told them we were in a high crime area and the more lights you have the more crime you have and besides we are outside without clothes alot between the pool and hot tub and taking care of critters in the nude. Been 4 years and haven't seen them again still the only house in the middle of the mile.

mikell

6. sssarawolf

sssarawolf Well-Known Member

Ogh gads Mike :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: I needed a good laugh. We live in the boonies and mow about 6 times in the summer. Gets a bit long at first but we dont have a problem no one around us. Plus our grass doesn't grown very fast its to darn cool most of the time and by Sept its already freezing.
    I have pics of my grandparents farm and they didnt have grass just weeds he would hack down with a sigh.