Rural Heritage magazine..

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Qwispea, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever heard of a magazine called "Rural Heritage"? I've come across about 12 issues from the years 1997 & 1998. The local County District Library had them for sale ..all of them for a dollar.

I just opened one up ..and it seems to be loaded with good articles about farming and logging with horses and mules and oxen.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

www.ruralheritage.com

Looks like they're online, but a bit pricey for me...$29 for a yearly subscription that consists of only six magazines? OUCH! I think you hit a goldmine at the library.

3. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Wow! I didn't realize it was still in circulation! Thanks for the link ..I hadn't searched the internet and would have completely missed it.

I'm going to read them all as quickly as I can ..and then I'm going to give them all away.

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

They are great. I got hubby a 2 year subscription and a stack of back issues for Christmas one year. Every issue has been valuable to us. We've saved the money that was spent by learning how to make our own hames and harness for our lady ox.

The website also has a forum with a lot of good info on draft animals.

They were really nice about packing and shipping the back issues box and keeping the name "Rural Heritage" off of the label so it would be a surprise.

Lynda

5. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Sounds like you hit the jack pot Qwispea I have been at their web site but it was to pricey for me.

6. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I like this magazine. I buy it at tractor supply at times. It has good info.

7. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Rural Heritage is a great magazine if you're into working with (or want to work with) draft animals. I make sure Paul's subscription doesn't run out. They also have a program on RFD-TV.

Another good small farm / draft animal magazine is Small Farmer's Journal. Lynn is passionate in his writing. It comes out quarterly

8. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks CraftyDiva! That's a subscription price I can handle!

You're welcome Qwispea, I plan to frequent the website myself.

10. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

"Living the Country Life" I wonder why they want to know your total acreage?? With NAIS and false premise registration, I tend to shy away from information like this.

11. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Perhaps because they are trying to understand thier readers and aim the editorial content and advertising sales to reflect that reality?

J

12. Ralph in N.E.Oh

Ralph in N.E.Oh Humble Shepherd

Northeast Ohio...60 minutes east of Cleveland
    I have subscribed to Rural Heritage magazine for years. It is loaded with information on farming and logging with draft animals (Horses, Oxen and Mules) If this is your "thing" then this magazine is for you. The mag comes out 6 times per year and may be pricey to some, but it is quality information and not filled with advertizing and drop out 3x5 cards. I began writing for this magazine in 2001. You can catch my "Reflections" column in each issue..... enjoy!