Runts

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meg Z, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've got a doe with a litter born 12/15, that has a runt. I've not been back into breeding rabbits long, but even when I raised rabbits as a kid I have never had a runt before. At least not this noticeable of a size difference (almost half the size of litter mates)

I thought about going ahead and culling it, but it's a first litter for this doe, it's a small litter, and I thought I'd see how it got on. (These are French Angora rabbits. If it's not suitable for meat, it can still be a spinners pet)

I assume that you bigger breeders go ahead and cull runts, but what about those of you whose 'profit' is mostly meat for the table and manure for the garden? What do you folks usually do with runts? Cull or let them grow?

Meg :)

2. rzrubek

rzrubek Flying Z

Hi Meg, we let our runts alone. We have had a few with as noticable size difference like you indicate and one i remember wound up catching up with his littermates after a few months. Its only a couple weeks old now, i'd say if it makes it a couple more weeks it should be fine. Good luck, Randy[​IMG]

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Randy, thanks for the comment. I'm going to go ahead and just let it grow, if it can hold on.
    I also checked out your website, which is quite interesting. I had thought about getting another good multi-purpose breed and have been looking at Rex rabbits. Glad to see you've got them...sorry that you're too far away for me to purchase one of yours!

Meg :)