Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just acquired some Lops and have babies. Everything was going well untill the severe heat hit.
We lost one one day and another the next.I figured the issue was they were not getting enough water. Maybe they could not figure out how to use the bottle. So we put bows in as well.
I have always given veggie scraps. green lettuce (not iceberg) carrots, apple, greens, cilantro, parsley. I think that about covers it.
Anyway, I noticed one of the babes bottoms was swollen and red and infected. His/her poo was caking up.
I took everything out accept water, pellets, timothy hay. I clean bottom several times a day. Trying to keep the area clean and the poo from backing up again.
The infection is healing but the poo is still not normal. It has been almost two weeks. What am I doing wrong? I love his temperament. He is a complete sweety. His weight is low so I was giving oatmeal. The good kind not the quick oats. All but one of sibs are gone (sold). The other is twice his size.
I want this guy to survive. He wont be sold Im too attached now but I like him.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Try offering straw or fresh raspberry leaves. Straw will stop runny poo, and raspberry will help stabilize upset digestive systems.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I agree with Bernadette, but would like to add that strawberry leaves or plantain leaves (the weed, not the banana-like thing) work well too. In a prolonged case like this I would try Shepherd's Purse.

Here's a site to help you identify them if you are not familiar with them:

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/shepherd.htm

I'm not sure where you live, but chances are good that at least one of these plants are available. Good luck.... hope the little guy makes it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much. I will be looking for these plants.
I can start with the straw as we have tons on hand. I'll go search out the others. I know there is the raspberry around and the others we'll check.
Again, thanks for the help.

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
I would also give the bunn some probiotics to get his gut flora back on track - my feed store carries a brand called Goats Choice, which can be sprinkled on the food or mixed into the water.

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
I would also give the bunn some probiotics to get his gut flora back on track - my feed store carries a brand called Goats Choice, which can be sprinkled on the food or mixed into the water.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Bumping this up... because I would really like to know how the raspberry leaves etc. worked for your bun, Blue8ewe.

One of my pregnant does had loose stools yesterday morning. I gave her raspberry leaves and shepherd's purse and grass hay and by evening her pellets were solid again. She tucked into that shepherd's purse like she knew it was "good for what ailed her". So I am wondering how it worked for your little guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts