Running from scratch

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Jena, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I didn't know where else to put this.

I signed up for a half marathon training program. It starts in January, runs until the race in May. They put us into groups, have coaches, a training manual, etc. I did not just go sign up to run 13 miles with no preparation.

Ok, so I'm 43, 20 pounds over my typical "sort of chubby but I can live with it" weight, I haven't run since high school and yes....horror of horrors...I smoke! On the plus side, I can walk all day long, without a problem.

I started taking wellbutrin because I know the smokes are going to have to go in order to do this. I've started stretching because that's all I know how to do until this thing gets going. I've also started telling my family, friends and acquaintances what I'm up too. They just look at me like I'm nuts and mumble non-convincing words of acceptance.

I really think I can do this. It's simple. I'll just do exactly what the manual and coaches tell me to do, every day. I know it won't be easy, but it will be simple.

I started out with no doubts that this can be done. The only obstacle I saw was my own unwillingness to follow through. That is my main battle...with myself, but after all these reactions, I'm starting to think that maybe I am too naive. Maybe I'm too old or too fat or too whatever to actually do this.

What do you all think?

Jena

2. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

I'm impressed.
    As long as you stay determined to follow through with this goal, you can do it.
    Remember what Oprah used to look like years ago? She got fit and ran a marathon.
    I've seen others, that I never thought would be able to run a marathon, do it.
    With proper training and determination it's very possible for you to run 13 miles.
    Keep us posted please. You may become my inspiration to run 3 miles....lol.

3. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

You go for it, girl! I know you can do it. You listen to your body & your trainers & you'll be fine. Good luck!

4. Karen

Karen Well-Known Member Supporter

I just saw a program about a nun who has done the ironman marathon (where you bike, swim and run) for the past 28 years. She is 72 years old, has never missed one since she started, and is planning to keep doing them until she dies. Amazing!!

5. Razorback21

Razorback21 Well-Known Member

Jena,
    I say "Go for it". I'm 44, and I will be running Louisville Half Marathon (Derby Festival) the last Saturday in April. My son is as well. I'm 22 pounds over my ideal weight, but I believe as long as I don't over do it, I can run it. I bet you can too!

Razorback21

6. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena,

If you don't mind feeling like you're dying, you'll do fine! :)

When I was in my very late 30's, 50 pounds overweight, I joined a class on "running" in college (I KNOW, but it beat Basketweaving 101!).

Anyway, I started near the end of August, not even able to make it 1/4 of the way around the basketball court. That November, just three months later and before Thanksgiving, I was able to run in a five mile Turkey Trot. So, in three months you can make a LOT of progress...as long as you don't mind coughing your lungs out and spitting up every bit of mucus you've ever made :) Just hang in there! Best of luck to you!

Mon

7. cozyhollow-gal

cozyhollow-gal Well-Known Member

Jena,
    You do inspire me already. Just be determined to follow through and do just as you said, train as instructed.
    The experiences mentioned show that anyone that is determined can do well, run and improve their health at any age. The 40s are a great time of life.
    I want to get into some regular arobics myself and get "back" into good shape and build stamina. So reading all these good post inspire me and I hope they encourage and inspire you also. :)
    Go for it!! and keep us posted.,,Patsy

8. PinkBat

PinkBat Well-Known Member

Have you started your program? How is it?

9. cider

cider Well-Known Member Supporter

Jena,
    I just saw this thread and am wondering how you're doing? I ran off and on for years while smoking and can tell you that if you can quit, it will be so much easier. I have so much more wind since I quit two years ago.
    Having the goal to run a marathon (are you nuts?) will sure help you to quit smoking and you'll lose those extra pounds as a bonus!
    So how are you managing with the cold weather? I haven't been out on a walk or run in two weeks, it's just too cold for me. That's ok, I love to run so I'll get back to it when things warm up.
    Good luck with your quest. You go girl!!!

10. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Good on you (ONYA! in Australian!) for having a go, but fitness isn't something that comes to you in a hurry. Follow the advice of your trainer(s) and learn your limits. I won't discourage you by telling stories of people I know who have gone too fast, and come unstuck!

Drink plenty of pineapple juice, and eat fresh pineapples. It does wonders for preventing muscle aches and cramps.

Don't forget the balanced diet!