Running buck with the does?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Disco Paul, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Disco Paul

Disco Paul Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We are new to goats. We have 5 does and just worked a deal today for a buck. Our question is this. I buildt a seperate pen for the buck but we would like to let him run with the does after they have been bred. Then pull him out about a month before they are due. Any thoughts?
    Thanks Paul

2. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

what kind of goats do you have? Is the purpose just so the buck won't get lonely? I have put an already bred doe with my buck before, he is a very gentle boy. Now he lives with two 4 month old bucks and is very kind to them as well. Not all bucks are gentle enough to do that.

3. Disco Paul

Disco Paul Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply,
    They are Boer does. The does have 6 acres of fenced in woods to lounge in compared to a small pen. I have a pen for the does but let them run during the day.
    thanks Paul

4. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

Boar bucks can get pretty big. yes? I saw one recently at a ranch where I bought my percentage doe that weighed around 300lbs. She commented about not going into the pen alone. lol..My goats are mostly pygmies, so I'm not so scared.heehee

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

It would depend on the temperament of your buck. My friend's Boer bucks are pretty mellow with the does and she sometimes leaves them in with the does til the first kids arrive. I always seperate my does from the Nubian bucks a couple months before the kisd are due.

6. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Everyone has different opioions on this but me I would never keep running a buck with does when bred because you could be risking a doe to get mad at the buck and cause a fight and the buck ram the doe and cause the doe to loss the baby. I would pen the buck in a buck pen instead of running with does but not everyone does that. Me I never run a buck with a does because of something could happen. That is why I have other pens to keep other goats in.. Have your buck a wether buddy to stay with him in the pen instead of running with bred does.

Good Luck on whatever you decide. :)

7. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Why will you pull him out? They are meat goats, he won't taint their milk. I think half the reason bucks get mean is that they're lonely, and goats NEED company. They don't do any better in solitary confinement than people do.

If it's the kids you're concerned about, my bucks have actually guarded the does in labor and seemed to take pride in their new kids. I've never had a buck pick on or hurt a kid (but the other does have).

8. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

i left both my bucks in whith the herd all the time untill the Boer started ripping fence up and letting everyone out, thats the only reason i took HIM out and put him in a separate pen,

i had a Boer and Boer percent herd, i didnt milk and had them strictly for meat, the bucks fit right in to the herd dynamic and it was no worse for the buck to be in with the does while bred that it was to keep the does with EACH OTHER,
    the only reason i can see to NOT keep a buck with the does is if you are running a milking string or if the buck is bad about tearing fence up. other wise let well enough be, even an obnoxious buck that has been kept in solitude his whole life will learn quick what he can and cant do in a herd invironment, the Herd Queen and her Minions will show him whos boss.

9. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I am assuming the ones who left the bucks with the herd just pulled or sold the young doelings so they didnt get bred too young. I am considering leaving my buck with the herd also as they are not milked. My only concern is the young doelings I intend to keep would have to be pulled and put in a seperate pen till they are old enough to be bred and then I would need a new buck by then. I had my buck with the does untill the girls started kidding and then I pulled him and the young buckling I had just gotten and they have gotten so bad at trying to see who can stink the worse and so I am considering selling one and just letting the buck run with the herd. I am just concered about over working the does but I have noticed that mine have not come back in heat till the babies are weaned about a month or more. The one doe that still is nursing her doeling that is almost 3 months hasnt come back in yet. I may try this and if I don't like it I can just separate him again but he just loves to be a part of the herd and is so calm when he is.

10. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Trob1 makes an excellent point and that's why my two bucks have their own pen. Also it would be impossible to even quess delivery dates and that's annoying...John

11. chamoisee

My does don't start coming into heat until September or later, at which time I either remove the doelings or the buck- usually the buck, since I also use A.I., and put a few does that I want him to breed in his pen with him. In years and years of having goats, I've never had a doeling get bred before September.

12. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

I had my buck pen across the property a ways from the does for a while and all he did was pace the fence line, pace, and cry. I experimented a little by first putting his pen next to the does and he settled right down. Now he is sandwiched inbetween pens and he is as calm as ever. Never paces or cries. He is never too much for me to handle. Very gentle. Now he has buck friends and girls to boot.

13. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Since I have both Nigies and regular size dairy goats, I keep my three (new) bucks together. I can't let the big boys breed the Nigies, and I keep the Nigies and minis separate to prevent bullying by my Nubian herd queen that is in with the bigger girls.

Since I milk, if I only had one buck, and only wanted one buck, I would get a wether to keep him company. Goats need friends!

14. gryndlgoat

gryndlgoat Well-Known Member

Why is there such worry about the buck "tainting the milk"?

Our buck shares the same pasture and barn as our four does 24/7, even when in rut. And I milk two of the does. The buck is now in full stinking rut and there is absolutely NO effect on the taste of the milk.

I have a milk room that the buck is never allowed in, off the barn, and am just very careful to handle the does as little as possible when they are stinky from the buck rubbing on them (they are trained to come in the milk room and straight onto the stand without any handling at all). Clean udders, clean hands, clean utensils, clean milk room and NO problems! Delicious milk, every bit as good as before rut. Even though we can smell the buck 100 yards away if we are downwind.

I do agree, however, that keeping the buck separated except for breedings is wise as you get an exact due date for does. We just assume that our does will be due sometime Jan-March and keep a close eye on them. Has worked so far...

15. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

All the thing brought up are exactly what's been on my mind.

So the buck will leave the young does alone? I would like to eventually have maybe 3 does with one buck, or 2 meat does w/1 meat buck in one pen & 1 dairy doe w/1 dairy buck in another pen. I'm not so concerned with breedings not being at the same time. But I am concerned about: 1) does under 3 months old getting bred, and 2) adult does getting over bred and physically stressed. I plan to wether any little bucklings when very little, and run all young ones (weaned to 6 months) in a pen..... but I worry about accidental breedings before weaning if I ran mamas and doelings with the adult buck. I WANT to keep the buck with his gals..... if it's safe for young doelings. Is it?

We don't intend to keep any of the offspring. We'll either slaughter wethers, and sell does, or keep and slaughter all.

In my mind I thought..... surely a huge meat buck wouldn't be able to breed a 3 month old doeling - size would be a huge hinderance. But are there other factors that come into play? The rarity of a doeling that age coming in heat? Or do the mama does "protect" the little doelings? These things I have no idea about.

16. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

I have ran my bucks with my does and I haven't noticed any "bucky" flavor to the milk. Occassionally I have had that, but it is rare. However, running bucks with pregnant does can cause them to abort. A pregnant doe appears to be in constant heat to the buck and sends him into the "blathering idiot syndrome" and it is non-stop. He is constantly trying to breed the doe and the stress and constant breeding can cause abortion. I'll run my together sometimes but never after breeding.

17. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

I have never seen this. I ran my pygmy buck with his girls till they kidded. I didnt know if he had bred the girls but 142 days after he arrived here the first kids were born and within 2 weeks all does had kidded. Now that he is separate from the girls he acks stupid and stinks. He and the buckling are having a contest to see who can get the stinkiest. LOL

18. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I will not leave my Boer buck in with pregnant does ever again Last year I had a doe that did not have a detectable heat, so I left her in with the buck(young 10 month old buck, not a 250 pounder.)I thought I'd remove her as soon as I knew she had came in heat, because the buck's behavior would let me know.
    Well she was bred, but I only found out when she aborted twins at about 12-14 weeks. The doe was healthy and I'd never had a miscarriage with any of my goats, so I'm assuming the buck may have rammed /slammed her around.
    There's no way ro know for sure, but I'm not willing to risk it again.

19. chamoisee

That buck will definitely breed the 3 month old doelings if they come into heat and will stand for him (most will). You either have to take them out or hand breed the older does.

Never had a problem with bucks breeding or hurting pregnant does. I have noticed that when a buck's been seperated from his does, he acts all horny regardless of whether they're in heat or not, including pregnant, but if he's been with them all along, he lets them alone once they're settled.

20. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

first i had a nubian buck, then later a 375lb Boer buck, the Nubian was a young buck and i only had him long enough to get kids out of him and see what they were like, then i sold him. i only got maybe one or two doelings out of him all the rest were bucks that i banded and sold for meat.

by the time the Boer got to my place he was 3 years old and HUGE, but he through low birth weigh but fast gaining kids

the Nubian Buck had LARGE kids born to First time Does that i had to help, this Boer buck (he was an EGGS buck) didnt cause ANY of my does to have a hard birthing,

when i left him with the does he didnt breed anything that wasnt ready and was very gentalmanly, when i had to separte him due to fence problems and then my does came into heat i took the older more experianced does to him to kind of work out his pent up energy, then i let him in with the rest of the herd.
    none of my does kidded too early and none were over bred,
    the doe knows when her body can support a kid, its when people breed their does then dont feed them right is when you get problems. keep all the good rich hay they can eat in front of them, all the brows they can find and supplement with grain (for does mostly) and you wont have any over bred goats.
    and if the doelings eat good and grow up to a good size they will be ready to breed to a mature buck at the right time,
    its when young does are left with their over zellious brothers that accedents happen.