Runner Cannelini Beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ajaxlucy, Sep 23, 2006.

1. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I just picked some runner cannelini beans from my garden and WOW! Raw and popped right out of the pod and into the mouth they were tender, sweet and delicious! I've never grown them before, but they're definitely on next year's list. I plan to cook them - briefly - with a little grated onion in chicken broth for dinner tonight. Do you all have any favorite shell beans?

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Cannellini is officially known as a dry bean but also makes a great shell or shelling bean. Vermont Cranberry is supposed to be the ultimate shelly bean but I haven't grown that one yet. The best varieties are usually those which end up with large beans. Four pole varieties are producing great shellies for us this year; Fat Man, Lazy Wife, Mennonite Purple Stripe, and Williams River. Best shelly bush was Dragon Tongue.

Martin

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i love canelinni beans, but have never grown them. where did you find seed? i'd like to try them next year.

fig tree, elderberry bushes, canelinni beans... the list is already started. :)

4. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

5. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

thanks martin. :) i didn't even think of that.