rugs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by doc623, Dec 14, 2004.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have ideas/tips on how to make a small throw rug from being slippery or sliding on a hard floor.
    What can I add to the back or bottom to prevent this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

You can buy a rubbery liner to go under the rug.

3. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

My Mom used to do those latch hook rugs, and she bought a white latex type stuff that she could paint on the bottoms. When it dried, it was like a soft rubber and wouldn't slip on the floors. You could call craft stores and ask if they have something like this.

4. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

An old (1950s) Heloise book says to use the drycleaner's plastic bag that covers suits after they've been cleaned. (Place it between the rug and the floor.) She said she didn't believe it'd work until she tried it.

5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

they make a rubbery liner on a roll like contact paper that you can cut yourself. In walmart, its in the household area with the contact paper and shelf liner. The cut to fit rug liners might be cheaper, I don't remember exactly.

6. kentuckyhippie

kentuckyhippie Well-Known Member Supporter

get a bottle of rubber cement, its in the glue section of the hobby department and dab it in several places on the back.

7. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

JoAnn's Fabrics carries a spray can of stuff that's meant for rug bottoms. Not sure but any fabric/craft store in your area might have it also.

LisaBug

8. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Rubber shelf-paper liners. They are meant for things like motor homes, etc., to keep stuff from moving. I use it to hold my appalachian dulcimer in my lap and keep it from sliding around.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We use that rubbery-rug-bottom-stuff from the hardward store. We attached Velcro to the corners, so we can wash just the rug without worrying that the rubbery-rug-bottom-stuff will break down. We just rinse that out by hand and hang it to dry.

10. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

those rubbery things never worked too well for me... maybe too much dust ont he floor? :haha: I use double sided tape.

babs