rug padding/cleaning question?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by lacyj, Aug 27, 2004.

1. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I got this great rug, it's hand woven,9x12'. It has a few small holes, that I can darn. It also has a few small stains, that I'll try to clean, any suggestions? Also, what type of padding should I use? It can be thin or thick, just something to keep from slipping. What's the best way to shape it and get the wrinkles out? Would a steam iron work?
    [​IMG]
    p.s. It cost $25.00, yea...

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

First off, Dont steam it!!!!!!!! It probally has cotton fibers or even wool and you will shrink or warp it....not to mention set in stains.

Clean it with water and a white rag, if that doesn't work use a small amount of dish soap mixed in water on the rag and rub in toward the center of the stain. But dont rub to much or you can mess the nap of the fibers up.

If you want to know if it is wool, my hubby said that it will smell like a wet dog when you get it wet....after it dries, it will be fine.

At lowes, they have a padding that comes in a package that looks like ivory, or camel color felt made to go under the rug to keep if from sliding. the only other thing is a product make for non-rug slipping...usually in small packs or rolls at wally world or places like that, but it usually only comes in small packs for small rugs.

my hubby said that if it was his (he is a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner) he would find a slab and hose the whole thing down and leave it to dry...making sure that is was flat and smooth and that would take care of any wrinkles out. I would only do this is the weather is good and not to humid and if you have an area that there is a concrete slab (or something like that ) to spread it out on. You could do that on a large tarp and then put it in a garage, or any large area where you can shape it to dry.

If you have any more questions, please pm me, i will ask hubby. (he know all about carpets, rugs, fibers and the such)

Good luck.

Belinda

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

If the rug is either polyolefin or polypropylene (same stuff really) you can take it out to our driveway and lay it out in the sun. Let it get good and warm and then bring it back inside to cool. Ripples will be gone. Clean the spots with something like Spot Shot. If it is polyolefin you can take it outside and wash with water and gentle soap for general cleaning. Hang over the clothes line to dry. Lay again on driveway to warm and take inside to cool.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I tell you what, this product I sell is really good. I know, I know. I could send you a little bottle for free so you wouldn't think I was just trying to make some money. It is great for any organic stain, I have used it for alot of things. If you wanted me to send you some, send me your address by PM. It would take me a couple weeks to get it to you, but it would likely work. I used it on a stain that had been in our carpet for years. We had tried to clean it with everything you can get from walmart. :haha: The Pet Force removed completely. :eek:

5. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Thanks for allllllll the info. It's a natural material. It's woven like an indian blanket. I have it rolled up and stored at the moment. We still need to sand and stain the wood flooring, before I can use it. Glad you told me about not using an iron, I didn't think about shrinking. There are only three light stains, about the size of a quarter, I can easily live with them......I don't have any concrete, but have used a tarp on the lawn, before. Guess I should get it washed before the weather changes, too much...
    Thanks again,
    lacyj