Rudebeckia

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Trisha-MN, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "Irish Eyes" and "Prairie Sun". The descriptions sound so similar...

I grew Irish Eyes last year and loved it but I see that most catalogs now offer Prairie Sun so it just got me to wondering.

Thanks,

Trisha-MN

2. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Near as I can tell, Irish Eyes is a golden yellow flower with a brighter green center, while Prairie Sun is more two-toned, tangerine and yellow, with a lighter green center. Priaire Sun is an AAS winner, while Irish Eyes is not.

Since I like the yellow and green better than the two-toned effect, I am going for Irish Eyes this year.

3. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

Thanks - I researched them more after I asked and figured it out just like you stated :) Seems that Prairie Sun is in all the catalogs this year and I am having a time finding seed for Irish Eyes. Could you share where you are getting seeds? The Irish Eyes plants I had last year were just beautiful!

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I get them wholesale from several seed houses since I grow them to sell, so they're not available from these outfits for retail. But I'd imagine that Burpee or Parks or any other major seed house must be carrying them. Remember to check the annual AND the perennial sections!