rubbing her butt

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by myheaven, Jul 7, 2006.

1. myheaven

myheaven Well-Known Member Supporter

My new gilt is rubbing her butt on the ground, is this like dogs a signle she needs to be wormed? Or is her but just itchey or is she really just longing for my husband to get back in her pen and scratch her hinney???
    Thank you all in advance

2. BD

BD Active Member

hi, I don't think worms have anything to do with it. Pigs get a itch just like us. My pens have the paint worn off JUST FROM SCRATCHING. they all love be be rubbed. Glad you found some piggies . I hope you did't have to travel too far. BOB

3. myheaven

I did have to travel 130 miles give or take. I was just wondering cuz she realy only seems to do it when were watching as soon as my dh sees her do it hes off scratching her rear. She has him trained. lol

4. BD

BD Active Member

hello, is there any discoloring of skin where she does her scratching ??? it doesn't appear to be raw at all does it ??? If so , it could be lice or i think they call it mites. There is a pour on liquid avaiable if so. When she does do it is it REAL AGGRESSIVE ???. If so, I think she just has an itch. BOB

5. myheaven

there is no discoloration at all. there are no crawly things. skin looks great. She does get realy into itching. Sher so reminds me of a dog. You start to scratch her belly and before you know it she laying on her side feet far apart grunting like shes saying oh yeah give it to me.
    I was just wondering due to when dogs scratch their but so often they have worms and need to be medicated.

6. myheaven

It could be a reaction to hay straw or dirt these poor pigs were on steel mesh 15-20 per little area. they are in a 2x bigger dirt and grass "pen" soon to have 5 acrs to run and there is only 2. I think they are real happy.