Rubber coating for metal roofs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cindy in KY, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

We've got the big old farmhouse, with 3 different size/shape metal roofs. The first one is 2 story, log house, very tall and very steep metal roof, and the other 2 roofs are add-ons, not so steep, but all hooked together of course. There is allot of metal up there, it's all metal. It's a big house, longways. The north side on all 3 leak somewhat, and we've got to get em fixed, again. The south sides don't leak at all. We've painted on the white & silver stuff over and over and it dosen't last long at all. The roofs are not level, all wavy here and there. And we do not want to take off what is allready up there.

Do you all know if there is an easy way to put a rubber coating over our metal? Like rubber sheets or brush-on. I've been told to try the Pick-up truck bed-liner rubber coating, about $20 a gallon, and also could try swimming pool rubber coating for sidewalks around the pool, both are supposed to stick to metal. I've looked at the websites for sheets of rubber for mobile home roofs, and it's $.44 a square foot, pretty costly. Any ideas that wouldn't cost a small fortune? Surely there's got to be a good product out there that's affordable. Thanks.

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

if the leak is in a valley caqnt you just tar it or if its on the flat cant you cut a patch lay a bead of roof cement around the leak screw the patch down with screws with the rubber washer on them and tar the seam thats what i did held up great or is it that you dont know where the leak is

3. thebeav

thebeav Well-Known Member

Out in the desert I saw a mobile home that had a rusted roof that leaked terribly. The roof was so bad you couldn’t even go up to do repairs for fear of falling through. The owner had a company come out and spray some sort of foam on the roof. It not only stopped the leaks it added three inches of foam insulation. And to top it off it strengthened the roof enough to use as a deck for sun bathing.
    Sorry I’m no help on a supplier. May someone else has heard of this foam.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

try www.polythane.com

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

might be easyer to call and ask iff can be put on metal roof 1-800-221-3626

6. Cindy in KY

I read on another thread here someone said to use Foundation and Roof Coating, the black thick stuff. That is only $14.00 for a 5 gallon bucket. He said it dried to a thick coating. I think that may work allot better for us than the silver stuff, which seems to go away pretty fast. It will just look funny with black roofs. It won't be reflective as the white stuff, but as long as it dosen't leak, I don't care. Maybe we can brush and brush with the Foundation coating till it makes a thick seal up there. At $14.00 for 5 gallons, a person could afford to do that.

The foam sounds great, but I bet it's allot more than I want to spend on my roof right now. I did go look at the site. Looks like a great idea. I would like to do the liquid siding on my whole house! No one sells it for a person to do it themselves. I've been thinking about doing the lightweight cement coating on the whole house exterior. Too Cool. Really, would love for the house to look like a big rock & warmer in the winter. We really freeze in the winter, even with the outdoor woodstove. It's a big, big drafty farmhouse. Can a person brush the Foundation Coating right on the outside siding? Now that's an idea. Does it stick to wood? A big black house. ;)

7. Cindy in KY

MtMan, no, we don't know exactly where the leaks are. There is a metal roof inside of our middle outside roof. When someone added on, they just put a new roof over the old one, quite a few feet higher. When we went up into the attic to run the new electric, we peeled back the metal roof up there (in the attic), to get into the space above the living room & bedroom. So water leaking anywhere in the middle runs down the peak/metal roof inside our attic, and it's impossible to find out where it's coming in at. We also had to tear down 2 chimmineys when we bought the place, but those areas seem to be ok. The whole roof needs a good coating of something now again anyway.

Hard part is, every time we walk up there, we are making the seams open between the metal, can't help it. The very back room, which used to be the back porch I've been told, is not steep enough at all. And that roof is the worst of all, and it's huge. It looks fine, but it leaks.

Putting this black, gooey stuff on the roof in the fall up here, all the acorns and leaves will stick. :) oh my.

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well maybee the seems are the problem screw them down and just tar the seemsdid you look at the site i put in

9. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i coated a metal roofed travel trailer with a product called KoolSeal - it was being pushed by home depot at about $50 for a five gallon bucket - had a fantastic warranty - 25years or something - leaked after 3 years - looked good for a while though -

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go by a roofing supply house and ask about 'single ply', its a roll of rubber material 3 feet wide, 33.3 feet long, cost is about $60.00 per 100 sq. ft. last time I bought any. Its heated with a torch and adheres very permanately to any surface, should be good for about 25 years, you paint it after a year or so. Brey and Darby Gum is the brands names I remember from back when I was a roofing contractor.