Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Chief Bottle Washer
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of rubber boots work best for those of you who wear them?

The reason I ask is that I am having rubber boot problems. The main prob being that I cannot get a pair, regular or insulated, to last longer than maybe 2 months, before they split along the side where my toes bend when I walk.

The main brand I get is Servus, from MFA (A MO farm store), but I have tried other higher priced brands and it's all the same.

I'd appreciate any suggestions before I go into boot debt.

Thank you.

Rebecca

·
swamper
1,040 Posts
Calfkeeper said:
What brand of rubber boots work best for those of you who wear them?

The reason I ask is that I am having rubber boot problems. The main prob being that I cannot get a pair, regular or insulated, to last longer than maybe 2 months, before they split along the side where my toes bend when I walk.

The main brand I get is Servus, from MFA (A MO farm store), but I have tried other higher priced brands and it's all the same.

I'd appreciate any suggestions before I go into boot debt.

Thank you.

Rebecca
I am beating a pair of 18 inch LaCrosse Alpha Burly uninsulated boots pretty good swamp walking. Lots of snags underwater and such. So far this is their second year. Before that I wore a pair of Red Ball uninsulated for 8 years. Then I got a pair of 18 inch Rocky's which failed after a year and a half. All my boots spend a lot of time going up and down tree steps and stickladders. The Alpha Burleys are much lighter than any other I have used and I would buy them again.

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
I agree with the LaCrosse boot recommendation. The company makes a variety of rubber boots...insulated and uninsulated...for work, farm, firefighters, hunting, fishing, etc. Styles include zip-up, pull-on, buckle-up, lace-up, you name it.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Best thing about the lacrosse is that they are cheap enough not to worry about. Use them up and then get a new pair.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Lacrosse.

There's them, and then there's everybody else. Gotta take care of them, though....don't leave them in direct sunlight, and always hang them up....

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
After many complaints by buyers at the local farmers' co-op about flex cracking they switched to the NORTHERN brand. I've had a pair now for about half a year and they seem to be holding up very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have yet to be let down by the quality of XtraTuf boots. Up in Alaska we called them Ketchikan sneakers. The fishermen live in them. I own a pair of insulated steel toes for winter use and a pair of un-insulated ones for the summer time. They are well worth the extra money I pay for them as they last me several years.

I bought the wife a pair of Muck boots last year and she is happy with them as well.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Lacrosse Burleys for comfort and longlasting. Just a tip- never store rubberboots where the sunlight can reach them and far from a heater and they will last many,many moons. Jolly did'nt see your tip till I already wrotet. 10/4 on the sunlight, death to rubber boots.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I brought a pair of Xtra tuffs home from a trip to AK. They are the bomb! They got the name right.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
AAAA+++++ on the Northerners.

My dad is still wearing the pair I outgrew years and years ago. I bought a pair six years ago or so, and they have lasted tremendously well.

I have often wondered how Northerners ever stayed in business, as well as their product holds up.

Might try ordering them online or from ebay.

Clove

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.