Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about using Jack Bay's Rub-R-Slate for a building project. However, I cannot figure out what the necessary asphalt emulsion is. I know it was marketed by Standard Oil back in the 1970s under the trade name Bitumil, but I cannot find a modern day trade name to look for. I have contacted Mother Earth News and several asphalt manufacturers but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moopups said:
What is it used for?
Rub-R-Slate is a mixture of clay, waste paper and asphalt emulsion. It strikes me as a mix between adobe and papercrete. Some sources I have found say it is not waterproof, but others say it can be used for roofs. Since I live in Florida clay is not something that I can easily come by. I want to experiment with a Rub-R-Slate that has cement instead of clay, but I have to find the asphalt emulsion first. I think maybe it is the asphalt that makes the material water resistant or water proof.

I once read in one of Ken Kern’s books that you can use Rub-R-Slate as a stucco that you trowel onto wall surfaces. I’m thinking that you could also pour it into molds to make blocks or building panels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts