Rub-R-Slate

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeafl, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jeafl

jeafl Active Member

I am thinking about using Jack Bay's Rub-R-Slate for a building project. However, I cannot figure out what the necessary asphalt emulsion is. I know it was marketed by Standard Oil back in the 1970s under the trade name Bitumil, but I cannot find a modern day trade name to look for. I have contacted Mother Earth News and several asphalt manufacturers but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    What is it used for?

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

4. jeafl

jeafl Active Member

Rub-R-Slate is a mixture of clay, waste paper and asphalt emulsion. It strikes me as a mix between adobe and papercrete. Some sources I have found say it is not waterproof, but others say it can be used for roofs. Since I live in Florida clay is not something that I can easily come by. I want to experiment with a Rub-R-Slate that has cement instead of clay, but I have to find the asphalt emulsion first. I think maybe it is the asphalt that makes the material water resistant or water proof.

I once read in one of Ken Kern’s books that you can use Rub-R-Slate as a stucco that you trowel onto wall surfaces. I’m thinking that you could also pour it into molds to make blocks or building panels.