Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody know if a 30 hp tractor will run a round baler? i got a 30HP that runs an old 24 t john deere square baler and pulls the wagon behind at the same time on flat ground.........mink

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Krone makes a 4x3 soft core round baler kr100 .... 450 pound bales if I remember right, and rated for 30 ish hp, might be 35hp

·
Premium Member
9,287 Posts
That's pretty light. The typical smaller round baler will need 40hp plus.

There may be a few rare smaller round balers out there; but then what are you accomplishing? They will likely be very expensive, rare to find parts for, or make small bales that require a lot more trips & traveling to pick up & feed. For $3000 you can buy a 70 hp tractor & for $1500-2500 you can find a Vermeer or other good round baler.

Then you have something.

--->Paul

6,651 Posts
mink said:
anybody know if a 30 hp tractor will run a round baler? i got a 30HP that runs an old 24 t john deere square baler and pulls the wagon behind at the same time on flat ground.........mink
I would try it just to see what happens.

Let us know

·
Registered
97 Posts
Any round baler that makes a 5' by 6' round bale requires 50HP for the baler, alone you always need some spare horspower for pulling the baler when it is loaded, then you have hills up and down, if it is very hot out add 10 HP etc. I have a 3020 John Deere and it is 78HP on a hot day pulling the round baler uphill you have to drop a gear or it will start to warm up. And you have to constantly watch the temp gauge. The 35 HP will not do it, you will burn out your PTO clutch, or engine or your drive clutch. Trade up in HP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.